Heart Meds for HCM Cats

  • Joanne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
      Wanted to remind everyone-if you haven't already discussed this-that many of the heart meds (as well as other meds) our cats need can be purchased at your local pharmacy and not just from your vet. Vet meds are often expensive. Local pharmacies might have lower prices and offer generics. Target is inexpensive and Kroger has $4.00 generics. It depends on the type (most pharmacies only have pill versions) and the strength which not all pharmacies carry. Also, if you needed a liquid or compounded version, Google compounding pharmacy for your area and see what is available and check to see what price they charge vs. the vet. To purchase meds from a pharmacy, have the vet write a script or call it in for you. Check with your pharmacy to see which strength and version of a med they carry to see if this could work for you. For exmaple, my cat Myrna Loy is on five meds. Four are generic $4.00 meds from Kroger-spironolactone, enalapril, atelenol, lasik. The other is Plavix (which the FDA might allow to be generic in 2012.) We get compounded Prozac for another cat from a compounding pharmacy (we can't use the pills which are a $4.00 generic because the amount he needs is less than what we could accuratley cut from a pill.)
    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
        On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Joanne <jomarbut@...> wrote:

        > Wanted to remind everyone-if you haven't already discussed this-that many of the heart meds (as well as other meds) our cats need can be purchased at your local pharmacy and not just from your vet. Vet meds are often expensive. Local pharmacies might have lower prices and offer generics. Target is inexpensive and Kroger has $4.00 generics.

        So does Wal Mart. My vet phoned in a prescription for Clipsy's
        benazepril: $4 for 30 tablets at Wal Mart. She gets 1/4 of a tablet
        per day. So that $4 prescription lasts her four months!

        Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
        www.jimsinclair.org
        http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
          Hi -- Tigger is just on atenolol, and he is totally impossible to pill. A couple times I tried wrapping him up like a papoose and forcing him, but I thought he would have a little kitty heart attack right there and then. So I talked to the compounding pharmacy. I first tried the treats, but he wouldn't touch them. So then I tried the liquid, and it works like a charm. The beef flavor mixes with everything, no problem. I make up their meals by mixing in extra hot water to the can of Friskies. I take 2 tablespoons of the gravy this produces and put it into a separate bowl. I mix in his atenolol liquid and the lysine for his herpes. Then I sit with him until he polishes it off. Then I put down the rest of the food, and he can have as much as he wants. I just want to be sure he gets his meds first, twice a day. And I want to be sure that Susie DOESN'T get any. This is the easiest way I can make sure.