Re: My cat passed away

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello

      I am so sorry to hear Midnight has passed. Sadly the first sign of heart
      disease in cats can be sudden death and they are excellent at hiding any
      symptoms. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    • MAUREEN FOGG
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        Kimberly,
        Im so terribly sorry about the loss of  Midnight.  I too am facing the spectare
        of death with my 4 year old Yuki.  It is so sad when they die so young.  I hope
        you can find comfort with the memories in your heart.  She was such a beautiful
        black kitty.  Thank you for the lovely photos.
        Best to You.
        Take care of yourself,
        Maureen

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hello,  It seems to be a terrible time for heart kitties.  Yuki has been in and
          out of CHF since last Tuesday past (21st of June).  One day she is ok, the next
          she is in CHF.  Last Sunday she was in CHF in the morning and then after I gave
          her the lasix shot in the evening she went into CHF.  Last night she was fine
          sleeping on her perch in my room and early this morning (4am) she heard the
          birds and she started to get all crazy like she does when she wants to go out.
          Well she worked herself into CHF again. She had come to sleep next to me and
          when I woke with her beside me I realized she was in trouble.  SO.. She got
          a .24ml shot and she didnt even flinch.  Do you think she knows that I will help
          her when she feels bad?  Maybe.  Anyway I got the results from her blood work
          last night.  Everything looks fine.  Her renal values just slightly elevated but
          her electrolytes are fine.  When the vet came in on Tuesday, Yuki was fine and
          she said she cannot believe that there is anything wrong with her by the way she
          wast acting that day.  I think Yuki stresses herself out when she wants to go
          out and meows constantly and puts herself into CHF.  My husband and I have been
          trying to get down on the floor and stroke and talk to her when she goes into
          her meowing fits. She is so determined and stubborn when she wants to go
          outside.  We let her out on supervised outings in the past.  Maybe that is the
          trouble - she got a taste for the good life.  But now with her so sick I wont
          let her go.  So I cannot blame bad potassium values for her increased
          episodes/seizures.  What are the other causes?  She is just quickly getting
          worse?  At this rate I dont think she will make it through the summer. I am
          giving her:

          AM
          1 Vetmedin 1.25 mg
          1 lasix pill 12.5 mg
          PM
          3/4 Vetmedin
          .20ml lasix injection

          When she goes into CHF I give her .24 ml injection (like this morning) and she
          seems to be fine in about 20 minutes.

          I think perhaps the lasix pills are not getting assimilated into her body and I
          may need to inject her twice a day and forget the pills.  The cardiologist
          recommeded just giving the shots and I feel like I need to do that (even though
          I hate doing it).  When she is well and I give her a shot she gives me such a
          look of betrayal and disgust and wont come near me.
          Poor Yuki - the little white cat who was always abandoned - given up 3 times
          prior to me adopting her at just 3 years old.  No wonder she stresses so.
          I love her little white face.
          Maureen

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            Please do not let her out! When they feel sick, they go off and hide, and you'll never find her. Ypu don't want her getting worse out there somewhere where you cant find her to help her.

            I think that maybe so many kitties are getting worse at this time because of the weather! If you have a heart kitty, you must have air conditioning in the summer. I always know which day I need to turn mine on when I wake up one morning and Tigger is spread out like a pancake on the tile floor in the hallway. I wasn't uncomfortably warm myself, but obviously HE needed it. Hearts have to work harder when it's hot and/or oppressively humid -- you must have air conditioning for them!! And keep it on, even if YOU are a little chilly. Remember, they have FUR COATS on all the time!!

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
              Michelle,
              You are right and I am keeping her inside. Our house is shaded and woodsy so it
              is always pretty cool even when it is hot outside. And I know about the hiding.
              She has a number of spots that I have had to discover over time.  Sometimes I
              think - how could I lose my cat in a 1 story house and no access to the
              basement?  She can be very clever.  (But I think I have found them all)
              Maureen and Yuki