New Member - My 12 yr old has had HCM for 2 yrs

  • mec2973
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2011
      Almost 2 years ago on July 9th, 2009, our lives changes when I took Skip to his regular checkup and the vet heard a heart murmur. The longer she listened, the more my heart dropped as I knew something was wrong.

      Once she said that she thought it was HCM and wouldn't tell me a life expectancy, I knew it was serious. I got Skip in to see a cardiologist immediately. The cardiologist found that he had an enlarged Thyroid and the blood work indicated that he was starting to have a hyperthyroid. The cardiologist also said that we were lucky and caught it early.

      After having I-Cat done to get rid of the enlarged Thyroid. Skip now has Hypothyroidism. Only 10% of cats go hypo after I-Cat...just our luck. He also has food allergies. We know he has allergies to chicken, milk, and fish. So his list of diagnosis' are:

      HCM
      Hypothroidism
      Food Allergies

      He currently takes:
      Morning pill:
      1/4 Plavix
      3/4 Enalpril
      1/2 Thyroid pill

      Evening pill:
      1/2 Enalpril
      1/2 Thyroid pill

      Cardiologist has requested that we don't exercise him unless he wants to play. Very rare, but very insistent when he does.

      He currently eats:
      Royal Canine Limited Ingredients Feline Duck Hard Food (loves it)
      Royal Canine Limited Ingredients Feline Duck canned food (he barely eats any, but he loves canned food, so I know he doesn't like it)

      One question I have is does anyone else's baby have food allergies and if so, what canned food do you feed them?

      I would like to change his canned food to something that he would eat. He gets the canned food after being a good boy with taking his pill. The duck canned food just isn't cutting it for him; since it is supposed to be a treat.

      If you want to see how good he is at taking his pills (he usually jumps on the counter...his choice of where to take his pill, so who am I to argue)...here we are:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTZXqh-314
    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2011
          boy, what a trooper...he's a special boy! good luck...Judi and Angel Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          From: mec2973@...
          Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:48:43 +0000

        • luckyshoefarm@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2011
            Hi. Bobtail was just diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and just got started on medication. I have been poaching boneless skinless chicken tenders for him. I would like to know if the Royal Canin you are feeding is a Prescription food? I would like to feed him more of a complete diet. He also has a heart mur, enlaged heart and CRF. He is not eating any wet food as of late. Only wants the chicken I prepare.

            Sue and Bobtail
            No Virginia
            Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2011
              The Royal Canin (spelled it wrong before) Limited Ingredients is from the vet's office. They recommended it when his food allergies really made themselves known. His poor little head would turn red and was itchy.

              He will only eat the duck hard food (venison and rabbit he turns his nose up on). Right now with him refusing the canned food, he is eating a bowl of the hard food a day.

              Since we've been on the Royal Canin his head only turns red when mommy let's his have a dab of ice cream which he loves. It seriously doesn't take much for him to react, so I am very careful. He is so hard to say no to, but he only gets a tiny amount. It makes him happy.

              We just tried a Fancy Feast Turkey that only had turkey for 3 days. He reacted, but loved it. I'd like to find a limited ingredients brand of canned food that he likes.

              We have toyed with looking online for a recipe (since they need certain nutrients), but thus far have put it off since he loves the hard food.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2011
                I can commiserate...Skip and I used to fight because the Plavix is so bitter. Plus giving him 4 pills individually in the morning was pushing it. Then at one of our cardiologist visits, the cardiologist said well get some pill capsules. Skip won't take liquids. I wind up wearing half of it.

                I looked into the pill capsules and worked with a pharmacy near by to get the right size. Now there's a site online that I get them from. I'll have to look it up.

                Since then, we have standardized him on one pill capsule in the morning and one in the evening. Mommy has fun making up the pill capsules...4 pills and one capsule makes for a tight fit. He knows what to expect and tastes nothing. Plus being made of gelatin, most cats actually like it. We dip it in luke warm water to make it slick and easier for Skip to swallow.

                So now after two years, he wakes us in the morning right before the alarm for his pill and then bugs us in the evening for his pills.

                > Oh, he's such a handsome boy! And so good with the pill! My heart kitty Tigger is red&white also. But I can't pill him at all, I have to get his atenolol made into a beef flavor liquid that I mix into his wet food.

              • MAUREEN FOGG
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2011
                  Hello, Very cute video! What a good boy!  I feed Yuki Natural Balance limited
                  ingredient diet canned food somtimes.  There is Duck and Green Pea and Yuki
                  likes the Venison and green pea a little better.  She isnt a big wet food eater
                  - but the venison is her favorite.  She has allergies to chicken that i know of
                  and i suspect other things - luckily she is not allergic to fish as well like
                  your guy!  That really limits the options.
                  Best of Luck
                  Maureen and Yuki

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2011
                    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to get one of each and see if Skip will eat any of them.

                    I see that they have 3 oz cans on their website. That is the one thing that I wish Royal Canin carried. A 6 oz can is just too much when Skip doesn't like it to begin with. ;-) We wind up refrigerating some of it and heating it back up in the microwave.

                    He is my good boy. :-) I'm lucky that he has taken to the pills so easily.

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, Very cute video! What a good boy!  I feed Yuki Natural Balance limited
                    > ingredient diet canned food somtimes.  There is Duck and Green Pea and Yuki
                    > likes the Venison and green pea a little better.  She isnt a big wet food eater
                    > - but the venison is her favorite.  She has allergies to chicken that i know of
                    > and i suspect other things - luckily she is not allergic to fish as well like
                    > your guy!  That really limits the options.
                    > Best of Luck
                    > Maureen and Yuki
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • janie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 30, 2011
                      Hi welcome

                      How did you know your cat was allergic to the food? My dog is allergic
                      to red dye and he got sick every time he ate. The reason I thought red
                      was the bone he had. I have given him a red snap dog biscuit and sick
                      again. Boomer our cat has some horrid sneezing and we go round and
                      round with like a cold.

                      Hey dont worry about life expectancy. Hes not God. What is yours is it
                      any less if you get a disease yes maybe and maybe not. So get it out
                      of your head. I have had 5 with this at different ages. So my 13 yr
                      old had a murmur and was on meds she acted like a kitten and ran all
                      over the house. She died at 17. So I dont believe in restricting them
                      like you can tell a cat what to do anyway unless you cage him. Let him
                      enjoy his life. Keep him safe in air conditioning. Dont let him run
                      around but our cats go out in their yard but not in cold weather. I
                      treat them like I would a human heart patient as humidity is hard on
                      the heart and cold. Use your head and love Skip.

                      I amy try that food you had. Janie and Boomer.
                    • mec2973
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 30, 2011
                        With Skip, the front part of his head near his ears where there isn't much hair turns red and he scratches it constantly and he gets bumps.

                        I took him to the vet, and she said it was probably food allergies. She had me put him on the Royal Canin for...2 months? I think that was the time period. Basically to get the the old stuff out of his system.

                        After 2 months, his head was normal color. The vet then said to isolate the allergy by giving him as an example...milk for 3 days and only change that up. If he reacts, he's allergic to milk. If he doesn't, milk is safe. He reacted right after he drank it. :-(

                        So, that's how we know what he can and can't eat. He's also allergic to dust mites (found from going with no heat for 2 months in the spring and turned on the air conditioner...Skip's face swelled) and flea bites (which thankfully only happened once...he's an inside cat and it was fluke the one he got). We have an antihistamine that we can give him if needed. We haven't had a problem since.

                        I was only really worried about life expectancy at first because they didn't know how far along he was with the HCM. After two years and barely any heart wall change, he's fine. :-)

                        We don't make him lay down or anything...you couldn't if you wanted to. LOL But at 10 he's slowed down on the playing. He was never interested in toys anyway. The most playing he did was back when he was hyperthyroid and ran through the house. Now that he is regulated, he doesn't run through the house any more. We just try to keep the stress levels and salt down. Skip has always been a lazy cat. LOL

                        I'm trying to find a canned food that Skip enjoys that he doesn't react to...he loves Fancy Feast, but reacts. It's been tough so far. I'm going to try the brand that someone else suggested and see if he likes it.

                        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, janie <sockster@...> wrote:

                        > Hi welcome
                        >
                        > How did you know your cat was allergic to the food? My dog is allergic
                        > to red dye and he got sick every time he ate. The reason I thought red
                        > was the bone he had. I have given him a red snap dog biscuit and sick
                        > again. Boomer our cat has some horrid sneezing and we go round and
                        > round with like a cold.
                        >
                        > Hey dont worry about life expectancy. Hes not God. What is yours is it
                        > any less if you get a disease yes maybe and maybe not. So get it out
                        > of your head. I have had 5 with this at different ages. So my 13 yr
                        > old had a murmur and was on meds she acted like a kitten and ran all
                        > over the house. She died at 17. So I dont believe in restricting them
                        > like you can tell a cat what to do anyway unless you cage him. Let him
                        > enjoy his life. Keep him safe in air conditioning. Dont let him run
                        > around but our cats go out in their yard but not in cold weather. I
                        > treat them like I would a human heart patient as humidity is hard on
                        > the heart and cold. Use your head and love Skip.
                        >
                        > I amy try that food you had. Janie and Boomer.

                      • Ann A
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 4 5:33 AM
                          You might want to try Hills z/d canned - you have to get it at the vets. Just buy a couple of cans and see if your cat will eat it. It is chicken, but the chicken is hyper-allergetic (sp?). My cat has food allergies as well, what we learned, is that he reacts to the grains in food and not necessarily the proteins found in the food.

                          Natural Balance also has a limited ingredient line of food - my cat eats the pea and duck - comes in both dry and canned formula.

                          > our lives changes when I took Skip to his regular checkup
                          > and the vet heard a heart murmur.  The longer she
                          > listened, the more my heart dropped as I knew something was
                          > wrong.
                          >
                          > Once she said that she thought it was HCM and wouldn't tell
                          > me a life expectancy, I knew it was serious.  I got
                          > Skip in to see a cardiologist immediately.  The
                          > cardiologist found that he had an enlarged Thyroid and the
                          > blood work indicated that he was starting to have a
                          > hyperthyroid.  The cardiologist also said that we were
                          > lucky and caught it early.
                          >
                          > After having I-Cat done to get rid of the enlarged
                          > Thyroid.  Skip now has Hypothyroidism.  Only 10%
                          > of cats go hypo after I-Cat...just our luck.  He also
                          > has food allergies.  We know he has allergies to
                          > chicken, milk, and fish.  So his list of diagnosis'
                          > are:
                          >
                          > HCM
                          > Hypothroidism
                          > Food Allergies
                          >
                          > He currently takes:
                          > Morning pill:
                          > 1/4 Plavix
                          > 3/4 Enalpril
                          > 1/2 Thyroid pill
                          >
                          > Evening pill:
                          > 1/2 Enalpril
                          > 1/2 Thyroid pill
                          >
                          > Cardiologist has requested that we don't exercise him
                          > unless he wants to play.  Very rare, but very insistent
                          > when he does.
                          >
                          > He currently eats:
                          > Royal Canine Limited Ingredients Feline Duck Hard Food
                          > (loves it)
                          > Royal Canine Limited Ingredients Feline Duck canned food
                          > (he barely eats any, but he loves canned food, so I know he
                          > doesn't like it)
                          >
                          > One question I have is does anyone else's baby have food
                          > allergies and if so, what canned food do you feed
                          > them?
                          >
                          > I would like to change his canned food to something that he
                          > would eat.  He gets the canned food after being a good
                          > boy with taking his pill.  The duck canned food just
                          > isn't cutting it for him; since it is supposed to be a
                          > treat.
                          >
                          > If you want to see how good he is at taking his pills (he
                          > usually jumps on the counter...his choice of where to take
                          > his pill, so who am I to argue)...here we are:
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTZXqh-314
                          >

                          > ------------------------------------
                          >
                          > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you
                          > feel your reply will benefit the entire group, please change
                          > the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo!
                          > Groups Links
                          >

                          >     feline-heart-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        • mec2973
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 6 10:30 AM
                            Thank you Maureen and Yuki!

                            We went out yesterday after returning from a trip to a store that sells the Natural Balance food. They had both Venison and Green Pea and Duck and Green Pea. We kind of have to go out of our way to go to the store, but as long as the kitty is happy; the humans are happy. ;-)

                            It was a hit! After pilling Skip, I always open the can and let him smell what he is getting. He went wild and wanted it. I have to say that it looks so much better than the Royal Canin canned food.

                            The best part is that today his head is still normal color. No red! :-) So he likes it and didn't react on day one. We still have two days to go, but it's looking good.

                            Skip is a lot more happy about the canned food situation after only one day. Funny how you can tell when their spirit is down. I'll stick with Royal Canin hard food for now so I'm not changing too much on Skip at once.

                            Of course I have a lot of Royal Canin canned food that is sitting around, but I'm sure someone will need it.

                            Thank you again for the suggestion!
                            Michelle and Skip