New member -- Bobtail

  • b p
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
      Bobtail is a male and approximately 15 years old. He
      had his 1st episode of saddle thrombosis last
      Thanksgiving. That episode was the result of an
      encounter with one of the other house cats. Then last
      Friday, Nov. 30, he had another. I was there to see it
      happen, of course it was not during "business
      hours"--430am, but i called our vet, who had treated
      bobtail b4, and he was on call. Within 30 minutes of
      the episode, which left the cat in pain and stress, he
      was at the vet. the vet administered a pain killer and
      aspirin. Bobtail spent 5 days there. they did an x-ray
      which indicated a heart condition. THIS PROBABLY
      SOUNDS RATHER FAMILIAR TO SOME OF YOU!!

      My question is this. For many, many years, Bobtail has
      had spasms. The frequency of the attacks varies.
      Sometimes two a day at its worse. He gets sort of
      distant look on his face, and then has a rather severe
      spasm in which he screams and attacks his right rear
      foot and bites at one of his claws. The episode
      usually lasts about 10 seconds.
      Cortisone injections seemed to help for about a 6
      month period, but lately it seems the injections cause
      or bring on other problems.

      Have any of you experienced this with your cats that
      have a heart condition / saddle thrombosis? I'm
      wondering if the spasms are clot related rather than
      neurological?

      Bobtail is home now. He's seems to be comfortable, but
      he has lost much of the movement in his right rear
      leg. the vet has suggested baby aspirin therapy...one
      tablet every third day to prevent further clots.

      Bruce

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001

        Has Bobtail been seen by a vet cardiologist? Has his heart
        condition been diagnosed specifically? Is he on any meds?

        > My question is this. For many, many years, Bobtail has
        > had spasms. The frequency of the attacks varies.
        > Sometimes two a day at its worse. He gets sort of
        > distant look on his face, and then has a rather severe
        > . . .

        > Have any of you experienced this with your cats that
        > have a heart condition / saddle thrombosis? I'm
        > wondering if the spasms are clot related rather than
        > neurological?

        I have some first-hand experience & have done a lot of research &
        have not seen or heard of this behavior. It doesn
        t sound related to the clots to me.

        > Bobtail is home now. He's seems to be comfortable, but
        > he has lost much of the movement in his right rear
        > leg. the vet has suggested baby aspirin therapy...one
        > tablet every third day to prevent further clots.

        The best thing you can do for Bobtail is to treat his heart
        disease aggressively. Please let us know how he does.

        --
        JR
        Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001
          Dear Bruce,

          Roscoe has almost identical problems (Not prior seizures though)
          We are about a week ahead of you.

          He suddenly kept falling over and couldn't walk. Back right leg
          barely operating.

          He is almost 19 and diabetic and early CRF.

          Decided to have a colour Doppler ultrasound on his heart.

          It's a mess- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (Severe)

          The radiologist kindly tracked his blood flow to rear legs and found
          this great thumping clot sitting there. On magnification we could
          see little channels of blood forcing their way through. Radiologist
          said that the clot would eventually dissipate. It has, and now he can
          walk unsteadily with a limp, but he gets where he wants to go.

          Vet says to give him a baby aspirin every 3rd day and she has the
          pharmacist mixing a brew of what I think she says is DILTIAZEM.

          They are making it so that it is only one a day dose rather than 3
          times a day.

          Despite all this bad news, Roscoe seems to feel quite well and eating
          well. Unexpectedly found him limping around the front lawn at
          midnight last night, enjoying the breeze through his whiskers.

          I was rather shocked as he has been mostly lying in his bed for the
          past week. Wish you both well, and I'll keep track of your progress.

          Valerie and Roscoe.