Re: reglan

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hi John

      Unfortunately Reglan (metoclopramide) isn't the best anti-emetic (anti-vomiting) drug for cats. It works best when given in a constant drip, which you can only do in the hospital. It is only active in the body for a short time so it's not surprising to hear you gave an injection and the cat vomited later that day.

      Probably the best injectable medication for vomiting animals is Cerenia. Another medication, Anzemet (dolasetron) is a good anti-nausea medication, available as an injection or as a pill and is especially good for patients on chemo.

      I'm sorry, I wasn't following your thread so I don't know why your cat is vomiting. If Maya isn't on a short course of life-saving medication that causes nausea (like chemo), and this isn't a temporary condition (for example, ate some grass, started vomiting), the source of her chronic vomiting should be diagnosed and treated -- anti-emetics just stop symptoms, they don't treat the source of the problem. Does that make sense?

      Adriann