Plavix and CoQ10 interactions?

  • s.theye
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hi All,

      My cat Jack just had his annual echo.
      His HCM is progressing gradually. Up until now he wasn't on any
      meds, but cardiologist prescribed Atenolol and Plavix.
      I am starting him on 6.25 mg. Atenolol once a day, and 1/4 tab. plavix.
      In 2 weeks, if heart rate hasn't dropped too low, I will call her
      and determine if he can take Atenolol twice a day instead of just once.
      His resting heart rate is in the 120's to 130.

      She did blood work too, because of adding the drugs, and his
      creatinine is just a point above normal range, and his ALT is up
      to 265, so I have to have blood work repeated in 2 weeks....

      My question is, I was just online reading about Plavix, and I found a
      few references to CoQ10 possibly lowering effect of Plavix with regards to
      blood thinning, so I wanted to ask the group about this.

      I had read earlier that Atenolol depletes CoQ10 some, so I would like to give it,
      but if it lowers the effectiveness of Plavix, I am not sure what to do.

      Here's one article referencing it from U of Maryland medical center-
      http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/coenzyme-q10-000950.htm

      Thanks so much,
      Shelley
    • s.theye
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2011
        Hi!

        Just reposting to get some opinions hopefully.

        Does anyone who is using Plavix also use CoQ10?
        Jack's cardiologist is out of town, but she said I could do
        both. I am just not sure if the info on the website (below) regarding
        CoQ10 making Plavix less effective is well known or not, and if
        anyone has further info/opinions on it.

        Thanks so much,
        Shelley