Cardio Myatrophy (sp)

  • imabigdawg2
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
      The Ultra Sound being one of the most expensive. I think my cat Bobtail may be experiencing some sort of heart issue being as he's got a mur mur & enlarged heart. In relation to dignosis what would you be inclined to have your vet absolutely test first then in succession with further testing? I have limited funds and have to be careful. The last time he was in hospital they charged me $2,000 and not once looked into his heart....we left with NO diagnosis, money spent for just a 2 day hospital stay and just "monitoring ie. fluids, urine testing in-house, and treatment with Orbax which they sent 2 bottles home. Nickel and dime is just killing.....They only looked at monitoring the CRF which I know is not the key factor as of late.....

      Sue & beloved Bobtail
      Virginia
    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
        Hi

        The echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound) is the only means of definitively diagnosing and characterizing heart disease in cats. If you want to know if your cat has heart disease or not, and if he does how severe it is, he needs the echocardiogram.

        Hope this helps.
        Adriann
      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
          Hi Sue; the most important test and the only one which can diagnose heart disease is the echo (ultrasound.) If your cat has a murmur it is a good thing to have this test to understand what is going on with her heart. Once you know, many forms of heart disease are quite treatable with meds and she may live a long time with the disease. good luck...Judi and Angel Max
          PS: investigate if there is a vet school within a couple of hours of your home...the costs are significantly less.

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          From: luckyshoefarm@...
          Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:25:15 +0000
          Subject: [FH] Cardio Myatrophy (sp)

          The Ultra Sound being one of the most expensive. I think my cat Bobtail may be experiencing some sort of heart issue being as he's got a mur mur & enlarged heart. In relation to dignosis what would you be inclined to have your vet absolutely test first then in succession with further testing? I have limited funds and have to be careful. The last time he was in hospital they charged me $2,000 and not once looked into his heart....we left with NO diagnosis, money spent for just a 2 day hospital stay and just "monitoring ie. fluids, urine testing in-house, and treatment with Orbax which they sent 2 bottles home. Nickel and dime is just killing.....They only looked at monitoring the CRF which I know is not the key factor as of late.....

          Sue & beloved Bobtail
          Virginia

        • John Gerace
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
            Thank you to everyone for your advice- maya had to be put to sleep today.
            Going to go have a good cry........
            john
          • karenborga@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
              I am very sorry for your loss of Maya.
              You and your vet tried very hard to help her and Maya will always love you for your efforts.

              (((( HUGS ))))

              Karen, Asst. Host
              Moderated on-line chat pet loss support
              Fridays 8 - 10 pm EST
              http://www.aplb.org/chat/chat_petloss.html

              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
                so very sorry for your loss of Maya...feel good in the fact that you took such very good care of her and gave her a great life...big hugs...Judi and Angel Max

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                From: bmtndog2004@...
                Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:48:55 -0400

              • anagtz@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
                  Receive a huge hug. I am sure Maya can tell all her new angel friends she spent a great and rich life by your side :)

                  Best,
                  Ana
                  Enviado desde mi oficina m�vil BlackBerry� de Telcel

                  Thank you to everyone for your advice- maya had to be put to sleep today.
                  Going to go have a good cry........
                  john

                • Westgold
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
                    If you suspect a heart problem, the only way to tell for sure is through the echocardiogram. Anything your vet can do in the office (x-rays or listening) will NOT give you the answer. Just go to a cardiologist for an echo. I know it's not cheap, but if your beloved kitty has HCM, you need to know asap so you can start the meds sooner rather than later. Just get the echo and get the real answer, and work from there. But HCM is not an immediate death sentence -- with meds, many of our kitties have lived for YEARS longer than the vet thought. My Tigger is 6 1/2 now, and you can't even tell he's sick. Other kitties progress at a faster rate. You need to know what her real situation is, so you can treat accordingly.