reglan

  • John Gerace
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
      today the vet prescribed reglan injection for my cat Maya-who can not keep
      food down. I gave her a shot at noon, and as of now she still vomits
      anything she eats or drinks within 2 minutes of eating. The dosage is just
      about 1cc-given every other day. I called the vet and told him it isn't
      working, he said to give until tomorrow morning and if she is still vomiting
      call him by 7:00 am. ( I think he was just too busy to talk to me). has
      anyone any experience with reglan and if so doesn't it take effect fairly
      quickly? like within 20 minutes?
      Thanks again for any advice you can share.
      John Gerace

    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
        Hi John

        Unfortunately Reglan (metoclopramide) isn't the best anti-emetic (anti-vomiting) drug for cats. It works best when given in a constant drip, which you can only do in the hospital. It is only active in the body for a short time so it's not surprising to hear you gave an injection and the cat vomited later that day.

        Probably the best injectable medication for vomiting animals is Cerenia. Another medication, Anzemet (dolasetron) is a good anti-nausea medication, available as an injection or as a pill and is especially good for patients on chemo.

        I'm sorry, I wasn't following your thread so I don't know why your cat is vomiting. If Maya isn't on a short course of life-saving medication that causes nausea (like chemo), and this isn't a temporary condition (for example, ate some grass, started vomiting), the source of her chronic vomiting should be diagnosed and treated -- anti-emetics just stop symptoms, they don't treat the source of the problem. Does that make sense?

        Adriann