Rudy

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
      Did they put him on oxygen? That should have been the first thing followed by
      the lasik.  They should have kept him for a few hours monitoring his vitals
      until he was stable. I know he's 19 1/2 yrs old but a pill and urinating may not
      be enough. When our cat Myrna had an attack a year ago, fluid in the lungs and
      something about blood vessels in the heart told the doctor that a further attack
      was coming on so they kept her. Sure enough it came and she stayed overnight
      while they gave meds, oxygen, and monitored vitals.  I would also think that
      lasik three times a day would be better.  That's what Myrna is on but she gets a
      smaller dose of 1/6 three times a day (1/3 of a half tab three times a day.) But
      you may not be home in the afternoon to give some of the 1 3/4 they've asked you
      to give daily. And you want to know what the kicker is? He actually needs to
      take in more water due to the increase of lasik, either by mouth or in his food
      so that his body can function-kidneys, liver, skin, blood cells, colon, etc. But
      how much I don't know. You'd have to ask the vet. It's a balancing act for sure.
      Myrna receives 3 ccs per meal-some in the food, some by mouth. Good luck.

    • John Gerace
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
        today the vet prescribed reglan injection for my cat Maya-who can not keep
        food down. I gave her a shot at noon, and as of now she still vomits
        anything she eats or drinks within 2 minutes of eating. The dosage is just
        about 1cc-given every other day. I called the vet and told him it isn't
        working, he said to give until tomorrow morning and if she is still vomiting
        call him by 7:00 am. ( I think he was just too busy to talk to me). has
        anyone any experience with reglan and if so doesn't it take effect fairly
        quickly? like within 20 minutes?
        Thanks again for any advice you can share.
        John Gerace

      • acrocat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
          Hi John

          Unfortunately Reglan (metoclopramide) isn't the best anti-emetic (anti-vomiting) drug for cats. It works best when given in a constant drip, which you can only do in the hospital. It is only active in the body for a short time so it's not surprising to hear you gave an injection and the cat vomited later that day.

          Probably the best injectable medication for vomiting animals is Cerenia. Another medication, Anzemet (dolasetron) is a good anti-nausea medication, available as an injection or as a pill and is especially good for patients on chemo.

          I'm sorry, I wasn't following your thread so I don't know why your cat is vomiting. If Maya isn't on a short course of life-saving medication that causes nausea (like chemo), and this isn't a temporary condition (for example, ate some grass, started vomiting), the source of her chronic vomiting should be diagnosed and treated -- anti-emetics just stop symptoms, they don't treat the source of the problem. Does that make sense?

          Adriann