Re: Rudy is failing

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2011
      Hi Denise

      I'm so sorry to hear this. Why would they release your cat while he was still having trouble breathing? He would do best in oxygen with IV Lasix until he can get past this crisis. If you have the option of taking him to a large referral/emergency facility, I would certainly do it. If not you can bring him to your vet, perhaps they can keep him at least for the day with oxygen and IV Lasix. Many dogs and cats have acute crises and need intensive care, and then are able to be maintained at home for quite a while with just an increased dosage of meds. But the initial intensive, supportive care is what's needed to get them past the crisis as quickly as possible.

      Again I'm so sorry to hear about you and your little guy. Really stinks.
      Adriann
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
        Hi Denise

        The only advice I can give is that furosemide seems to work for about 8
        hours. Trixi had a similar dose at her worst but she had it split to 1/4
        tablet every four hours throughout the day. I think you're up to the maximum
        dose of lasix and are using spiro for fluid outside the lungs so the only
        suggestion I could have is that the dose could be split into three, every
        eight hours. I`m sorry to hear Rudy is unwell, it's such a balancing act with
        the diuretics. You should see an improvement quite quickly with lasix, I`ve
        always seen it within half an hour.

      • tobythelegend
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
          Our cat, who has had pulmonary edema (water in the lungs) to the point of requiring an oxygen chamber started with 6.25mg Furosemide in the morning and 6.25mg in the evening. He now only takes it in the morning. I don't know how big your pills are, but it sounds like a hearty dose. Our cat weighs 8lbs for reference.