Rudy is failing

  • leohorse1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2011
      We haven't posted in a long time, Rudy has had a good 3 years since being diagnosed with HCM. But the last couple of weeks have been awful, in addition to being diagnosed with an enlarged liver. Rudy is 19 1/2 years old. We choose not to do the ultrasound and biopsy. But we have also noticed his breathing has gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. Internal Med doc said x-rays show some fluid in the chest cavity and some in the lungs but not a lot. Today we woke up to chest heaving and open mouth breating. Off we go to emergency. They saw the same, some in the chest cavity (not enough to tap) and some in the lungs. I had given him a full furosemide table before we left home and they gave him a lasix injection before we came back home. He has peed a lot and is breathing better but still not normal. The radiologiy said this is a result of further heart failure.

      They asked me to increase his furosemide from 1/2 tablet in the morning to 3/4 tablet and for the evening to increase it from 3/4 tablet to a full tablet. He also gets 1/4 tablet of spiro in the morning and again at night.

      The emergency vet said that the furosemide would work within the first 15 minutes of being given and that was it...is that correct? Does anyone think this new dose is enough? What can I expect? I know he doesn't have long but I would like to make his remaining time good and not feeling awful not being able to breath. I am upset over this I don't know what to do.

      Any advice or words of encouragement (or words of honesty) would sure be apprciated.

      Thank you all so much.

      Denise & "Rudy"
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2011
        Hi Denise; I don't really have any advice for you...I just wen thhrough this with ny love kitty Max not quite four months ago...I just want yoo to know that there are many people who will feel your pain with you...that the love you are feeling is very true and real, and that your baby will always be there for you in your mind. big hugs...Judi and Angel Max

        Casa Obelisco
        Top 10 Most Romantic Bed and Breakfast's Worldwide
        ForbesTraveller.com, Feb. 2009
        #1 Most Romantic International B & B 2010: Pamel Lanier

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        From: denise.ross@...
        Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 03:16:02 +0000
        Subject: [FH] Rudy is failing

      • acrocat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2011
          Hi Denise

          I'm so sorry to hear this. Why would they release your cat while he was still having trouble breathing? He would do best in oxygen with IV Lasix until he can get past this crisis. If you have the option of taking him to a large referral/emergency facility, I would certainly do it. If not you can bring him to your vet, perhaps they can keep him at least for the day with oxygen and IV Lasix. Many dogs and cats have acute crises and need intensive care, and then are able to be maintained at home for quite a while with just an increased dosage of meds. But the initial intensive, supportive care is what's needed to get them past the crisis as quickly as possible.

          Again I'm so sorry to hear about you and your little guy. Really stinks.
          Adriann
        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
            Hi Denise

            The only advice I can give is that furosemide seems to work for about 8
            hours. Trixi had a similar dose at her worst but she had it split to 1/4
            tablet every four hours throughout the day. I think you're up to the maximum
            dose of lasix and are using spiro for fluid outside the lungs so the only
            suggestion I could have is that the dose could be split into three, every
            eight hours. I`m sorry to hear Rudy is unwell, it's such a balancing act with
            the diuretics. You should see an improvement quite quickly with lasix, I`ve
            always seen it within half an hour.

          • tobythelegend
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
              Our cat, who has had pulmonary edema (water in the lungs) to the point of requiring an oxygen chamber started with 6.25mg Furosemide in the morning and 6.25mg in the evening. He now only takes it in the morning. I don't know how big your pills are, but it sounds like a hearty dose. Our cat weighs 8lbs for reference.