Re: cant keep food down

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
      Hi John

      If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and
      has fluid on her lungs. It is absolutely vital to deal with this first.
      Intravenous lasix is helpful and works quickly in an emergency situation and
      there are other diuretics that can be used in combination with lasix, such
      as spironolactone.

      If she has fluid on her lungs, she won't eat. It is worth a vet trip to
      listen to her lungs and confirm this as it is an emergency situation. Also if
      she isn't eating, she'll need a taurine supplement which is essential to
      cats who aren't on canned/dried catfood. Lack of taurine can produce a form
      of cardiomyopathy.

      As for stimulating her appetite I`ve no experience of this, but others will
      have. Get her lungs checked out and see if that is causing the problem

      Lyn:)

    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
        hi John,

        A way to be more sure of what's going on is to listen to her lungs. Get a stethoscope and listen for any kind of crackling or popping sounds. That's usually indicative of fluid. Also take her heart rate. Listen to how many times her heart beats in a minute (take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4). A heart rate over about 32 can be the start of fluid. If it's way higher than that, it can either be fluid or pain. The heart rate goes up with pain too.

        Sitting in that sphinx position can also be related to nausea caused from various things, including CRF. All my CRF kitties would lay that way when they had upset stomachs.

        It would be a good idea to get her to the vet for an xray to rule out the fluid thing. If that's going on, you don't want to wait.

        hugs,
        Carol and Angel Snowball
        and the gang

        > If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and has fluid on her lungs.
      • tobythelegend
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
          There are definitely good anti-nausea medications out there. I would try wrapping your cats pills in pill-pockets before you force pill her. We tried compounding medications with my cat and it lead to him losing his appetite, vomiting, etc. I tried pilling him without pill pockets and he would vomit. Wrapping about 1/3 to 1/2 a pill pocket around 1 or 2 pills keeps him from vomiting and keeps the meds down. It's worth a shot.
        • C.R.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
            OH! I meant to say respiration here, not heart rate. The respiration (how many breaths in a minute) being over 32...

            The heart rate is anywhere from around 120 to 160. Both should be taken while sleeping or resting, not after having walked around or played, as both will go up from those activities.

            Sorry! Not much sleep last night!

            Carol and Angel Snowball
            and the gang