Re: OT: Dry to wet Transition

  • Diana Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
      Thank you Carol, I so appreciate your kind words. Thank you for understanding the point I was trying to make.

      My beautiful boy Happy passed away last July 30, I miss him beyond words. He was a heart kitty with no desire to eat. He liked canned food though and fancy feast was the only one he'd touch and only three flavors at that. God how every day was a struggle to get him to eat.

      My hubby was lonely for a cat so we adopted 5 year old Cali in March.This is our first female. She is the opposite of sweet natured Happy, she's a bossy diva who loves to eat.

      She got too heavy while at the shelter as they kept putting food in the dish. Our vet said she is healthy but put her on a prescription diet to lose weight, she is not fed freely and eats at certain intervals and a set amount. She will not eat can food. I dont particularly like this prescription diet but she does and she seems to be losing the fat. When she slims down I can feed her something else and she will eat it eagerly, as long as it's dry.

      An addition to being at risk for diabetes (we already dealt with insulin shots some years ago with our Lawrence and he was a good boy at shot time. Cali would be a nightmare) she does have a grade 2 murmur.

      I have stayed with this group in honor of Happy and to keep up with the other heart kitties and their day to day struggles. I feel so bad when one of them loses the battle. It's a terrible, cruel disease. I dont think enough attention is given to feline heart disease, few people I talk to have even heard of it.

      I know what you are all experiencing, the daily worry and struggle to help your cats to live with this monster. My point is to not be so hard on yourselves, you are coping the very best you can. The fact you are on this forum shows that you care enough to even try.

      Bless you all
      Diana

          From: Diana Anderson f1yanks@...

          I've read Dr Pierson's site, tried the tricks and advice, didnt work for my cat.

          It most likely will with many kitties but certainly not all.

          My only point is that if your cat would rather starve than eat wet food dont beat yourself up over it. I got fed up with the insults that I received (on another forum) that by not forcing my girl to eat canned food I'm killing her. Im grateful to have a kitty now that WANTS to eat.

          Do the best you can for your beloved kitty, make them happy and comfortable and give them whatever they want. That is all I'm saying.

          Diana