Re: cant keep food down

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
      Hi John,

      I'm sorry Maya is having such a hard time. My Angel Snowball did the same thing. She had a terrible time with spewing all the time.

      One thing that we did was gave her Ondansetron injections. It's an anti-nausea medication that is used for people who get chemo to keep them from throwing up. It worked wonders for Snowball. She went from throwing up every day to maybe only once a week, then it was only a couple times a month.

      You need a prescription for the medicine and some places (like your local pharmacy) the needles. I buy our Ondansetron (brand name is Zofran), from Thrivingpets.com. If you buy this at a pharmacy they sometimes charge up to $200 a vial! Crazy! So I only get it from Thrivingpets.com. I get our needles from our local pharmacy or online. The needles can be anywhere from $20 to $25 a box. These BD Ultra-Fine II Insulin Syringes are the only ones I'll use. They're very tiny and don't hurt the cats as far as I can tell.

      Ondansetron Injectible, Sandoz, 4mg / 2ml, Case of 10 Vials, $24.95
      http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/ondansetron-zofran.html

      BD Ultra-Fine II Short Needle Insulin Syringes-1/2cc 31G 5/16" -90ct
      http://www.otcwholesale.com/bd-28290.html You don't need a prescription for the needles from this site.

      I hope this helps. I'd talk to your vet about getting the prescription for the Ondansetron. At least you can try it and see if it helps.

      hugs,
      Carol and Angel Snowball
      and the gang

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
        Hi John

        If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and
        has fluid on her lungs. It is absolutely vital to deal with this first.
        Intravenous lasix is helpful and works quickly in an emergency situation and
        there are other diuretics that can be used in combination with lasix, such
        as spironolactone.

        If she has fluid on her lungs, she won't eat. It is worth a vet trip to
        listen to her lungs and confirm this as it is an emergency situation. Also if
        she isn't eating, she'll need a taurine supplement which is essential to
        cats who aren't on canned/dried catfood. Lack of taurine can produce a form
        of cardiomyopathy.

        As for stimulating her appetite I`ve no experience of this, but others will
        have. Get her lungs checked out and see if that is causing the problem

        Lyn:)

      • C.R.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
          hi John,

          A way to be more sure of what's going on is to listen to her lungs. Get a stethoscope and listen for any kind of crackling or popping sounds. That's usually indicative of fluid. Also take her heart rate. Listen to how many times her heart beats in a minute (take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4). A heart rate over about 32 can be the start of fluid. If it's way higher than that, it can either be fluid or pain. The heart rate goes up with pain too.

          Sitting in that sphinx position can also be related to nausea caused from various things, including CRF. All my CRF kitties would lay that way when they had upset stomachs.

          It would be a good idea to get her to the vet for an xray to rule out the fluid thing. If that's going on, you don't want to wait.

          hugs,
          Carol and Angel Snowball
          and the gang

          > If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and has fluid on her lungs.
        • tobythelegend
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
            There are definitely good anti-nausea medications out there. I would try wrapping your cats pills in pill-pockets before you force pill her. We tried compounding medications with my cat and it lead to him losing his appetite, vomiting, etc. I tried pilling him without pill pockets and he would vomit. Wrapping about 1/3 to 1/2 a pill pocket around 1 or 2 pills keeps him from vomiting and keeps the meds down. It's worth a shot.
          • C.R.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
              OH! I meant to say respiration here, not heart rate. The respiration (how many breaths in a minute) being over 32...

              The heart rate is anywhere from around 120 to 160. Both should be taken while sleeping or resting, not after having walked around or played, as both will go up from those activities.

              Sorry! Not much sleep last night!

              Carol and Angel Snowball
              and the gang