cant keep food down

  • John Gerace
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
      My 5 year old HCM cat Maya has had many serious issues since December such
      as not eating, developing lameness, seizures. Mostly she comes back from
      them all, I have some pills the vet gave to stimulate her appetite that work
      very well. But now nothing seems to work as she can not keep any food down.
      Are there meds to make her keep her food down (anti nausea maybe)? (although
      it is sooo hard to get her to take her meds, when I give her the lasix
      pill, which she refuses, she ends up having a fit and I feel guilty for
      causing it) She can handle small small amounts of tuna when she shows an
      interest in eating,but if i bring her food (tuna) before she wants it she
      throws up clear vomit along with the food. she hasn't had a "full" meal in a
      couple days, today she just sits in a sphinx position staring at the floor
      and jumps suddenly at noises as if she was dozing off and got startled. I am
      thinking this is it for her but she has come so close to death before then
      bounces back. At first the vet and myself are overjoyed but now I cant help
      but think this is cruel and I should just end her discomfort. my vet wont
      usually euthanize an animal until it is on its last legs- and there is
      another vet in town that seems to be very anxious to end a life- all you
      gotta do is ask.
      thanks for any advice
      john

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
        Hi John,

        I'm sorry Maya is having such a hard time. My Angel Snowball did the same thing. She had a terrible time with spewing all the time.

        One thing that we did was gave her Ondansetron injections. It's an anti-nausea medication that is used for people who get chemo to keep them from throwing up. It worked wonders for Snowball. She went from throwing up every day to maybe only once a week, then it was only a couple times a month.

        You need a prescription for the medicine and some places (like your local pharmacy) the needles. I buy our Ondansetron (brand name is Zofran), from Thrivingpets.com. If you buy this at a pharmacy they sometimes charge up to $200 a vial! Crazy! So I only get it from Thrivingpets.com. I get our needles from our local pharmacy or online. The needles can be anywhere from $20 to $25 a box. These BD Ultra-Fine II Insulin Syringes are the only ones I'll use. They're very tiny and don't hurt the cats as far as I can tell.

        Ondansetron Injectible, Sandoz, 4mg / 2ml, Case of 10 Vials, $24.95
        http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/ondansetron-zofran.html

        BD Ultra-Fine II Short Needle Insulin Syringes-1/2cc 31G 5/16" -90ct
        http://www.otcwholesale.com/bd-28290.html You don't need a prescription for the needles from this site.

        I hope this helps. I'd talk to your vet about getting the prescription for the Ondansetron. At least you can try it and see if it helps.

        hugs,
        Carol and Angel Snowball
        and the gang

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
          Hi John

          If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and
          has fluid on her lungs. It is absolutely vital to deal with this first.
          Intravenous lasix is helpful and works quickly in an emergency situation and
          there are other diuretics that can be used in combination with lasix, such
          as spironolactone.

          If she has fluid on her lungs, she won't eat. It is worth a vet trip to
          listen to her lungs and confirm this as it is an emergency situation. Also if
          she isn't eating, she'll need a taurine supplement which is essential to
          cats who aren't on canned/dried catfood. Lack of taurine can produce a form
          of cardiomyopathy.

          As for stimulating her appetite I`ve no experience of this, but others will
          have. Get her lungs checked out and see if that is causing the problem

          Lyn:)

        • C.R.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
            hi John,

            A way to be more sure of what's going on is to listen to her lungs. Get a stethoscope and listen for any kind of crackling or popping sounds. That's usually indicative of fluid. Also take her heart rate. Listen to how many times her heart beats in a minute (take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4). A heart rate over about 32 can be the start of fluid. If it's way higher than that, it can either be fluid or pain. The heart rate goes up with pain too.

            Sitting in that sphinx position can also be related to nausea caused from various things, including CRF. All my CRF kitties would lay that way when they had upset stomachs.

            It would be a good idea to get her to the vet for an xray to rule out the fluid thing. If that's going on, you don't want to wait.

            hugs,
            Carol and Angel Snowball
            and the gang

            > If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and has fluid on her lungs.
          • tobythelegend
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
              There are definitely good anti-nausea medications out there. I would try wrapping your cats pills in pill-pockets before you force pill her. We tried compounding medications with my cat and it lead to him losing his appetite, vomiting, etc. I tried pilling him without pill pockets and he would vomit. Wrapping about 1/3 to 1/2 a pill pocket around 1 or 2 pills keeps him from vomiting and keeps the meds down. It's worth a shot.
            • C.R.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                OH! I meant to say respiration here, not heart rate. The respiration (how many breaths in a minute) being over 32...

                The heart rate is anywhere from around 120 to 160. Both should be taken while sleeping or resting, not after having walked around or played, as both will go up from those activities.

                Sorry! Not much sleep last night!

                Carol and Angel Snowball
                and the gang