Re: wet food transition

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
      A feline vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson, has a site with a lot of info and specifically information on nutrition and helping dry-food addicts move on to wet food. Her info is here:
      http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity .
      Adriann
    • John Gerace
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
        My 5 year old HCM cat Maya has had many serious issues since December such
        as not eating, developing lameness, seizures. Mostly she comes back from
        them all, I have some pills the vet gave to stimulate her appetite that work
        very well. But now nothing seems to work as she can not keep any food down.
        Are there meds to make her keep her food down (anti nausea maybe)? (although
        it is sooo hard to get her to take her meds, when I give her the lasix
        pill, which she refuses, she ends up having a fit and I feel guilty for
        causing it) She can handle small small amounts of tuna when she shows an
        interest in eating,but if i bring her food (tuna) before she wants it she
        throws up clear vomit along with the food. she hasn't had a "full" meal in a
        couple days, today she just sits in a sphinx position staring at the floor
        and jumps suddenly at noises as if she was dozing off and got startled. I am
        thinking this is it for her but she has come so close to death before then
        bounces back. At first the vet and myself are overjoyed but now I cant help
        but think this is cruel and I should just end her discomfort. my vet wont
        usually euthanize an animal until it is on its last legs- and there is
        another vet in town that seems to be very anxious to end a life- all you
        gotta do is ask.
        thanks for any advice
        john

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
          Hi John,

          I'm sorry Maya is having such a hard time. My Angel Snowball did the same thing. She had a terrible time with spewing all the time.

          One thing that we did was gave her Ondansetron injections. It's an anti-nausea medication that is used for people who get chemo to keep them from throwing up. It worked wonders for Snowball. She went from throwing up every day to maybe only once a week, then it was only a couple times a month.

          You need a prescription for the medicine and some places (like your local pharmacy) the needles. I buy our Ondansetron (brand name is Zofran), from Thrivingpets.com. If you buy this at a pharmacy they sometimes charge up to $200 a vial! Crazy! So I only get it from Thrivingpets.com. I get our needles from our local pharmacy or online. The needles can be anywhere from $20 to $25 a box. These BD Ultra-Fine II Insulin Syringes are the only ones I'll use. They're very tiny and don't hurt the cats as far as I can tell.

          Ondansetron Injectible, Sandoz, 4mg / 2ml, Case of 10 Vials, $24.95
          http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/ondansetron-zofran.html

          BD Ultra-Fine II Short Needle Insulin Syringes-1/2cc 31G 5/16" -90ct
          http://www.otcwholesale.com/bd-28290.html You don't need a prescription for the needles from this site.

          I hope this helps. I'd talk to your vet about getting the prescription for the Ondansetron. At least you can try it and see if it helps.

          hugs,
          Carol and Angel Snowball
          and the gang

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
            Hi John

            If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and
            has fluid on her lungs. It is absolutely vital to deal with this first.
            Intravenous lasix is helpful and works quickly in an emergency situation and
            there are other diuretics that can be used in combination with lasix, such
            as spironolactone.

            If she has fluid on her lungs, she won't eat. It is worth a vet trip to
            listen to her lungs and confirm this as it is an emergency situation. Also if
            she isn't eating, she'll need a taurine supplement which is essential to
            cats who aren't on canned/dried catfood. Lack of taurine can produce a form
            of cardiomyopathy.

            As for stimulating her appetite I`ve no experience of this, but others will
            have. Get her lungs checked out and see if that is causing the problem

            Lyn:)

          • C.R.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
              hi John,

              A way to be more sure of what's going on is to listen to her lungs. Get a stethoscope and listen for any kind of crackling or popping sounds. That's usually indicative of fluid. Also take her heart rate. Listen to how many times her heart beats in a minute (take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4). A heart rate over about 32 can be the start of fluid. If it's way higher than that, it can either be fluid or pain. The heart rate goes up with pain too.

              Sitting in that sphinx position can also be related to nausea caused from various things, including CRF. All my CRF kitties would lay that way when they had upset stomachs.

              It would be a good idea to get her to the vet for an xray to rule out the fluid thing. If that's going on, you don't want to wait.

              hugs,
              Carol and Angel Snowball
              and the gang

              > If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and has fluid on her lungs.
            • tobythelegend
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                There are definitely good anti-nausea medications out there. I would try wrapping your cats pills in pill-pockets before you force pill her. We tried compounding medications with my cat and it lead to him losing his appetite, vomiting, etc. I tried pilling him without pill pockets and he would vomit. Wrapping about 1/3 to 1/2 a pill pocket around 1 or 2 pills keeps him from vomiting and keeps the meds down. It's worth a shot.
              • C.R.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                  OH! I meant to say respiration here, not heart rate. The respiration (how many breaths in a minute) being over 32...

                  The heart rate is anywhere from around 120 to 160. Both should be taken while sleeping or resting, not after having walked around or played, as both will go up from those activities.

                  Sorry! Not much sleep last night!

                  Carol and Angel Snowball
                  and the gang