Re: OT: Bladder stones

  • Diana Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
      I would just like to point out that there are some cats who will refuse to eat wet food no matter how many tricks are employed. I think we all know or have owned such a kitty at some point. I have a tortie girl now who wont go near wet food and believe me, this girl lives to eat.

      And one cannot simply "starve" them into switching foods, cats dont play that game.

      If you cant convince yours to eat canned food then I would advise you let him eat what he likes and provide as much water as possible. Having lived with a cat who would barely eat one can of Fancy Feast a day has taught me that it's most important that they eat whatever they want even if it's not the best quality. I was over the moon on those rare days Happy ate two cans.

      My angel boy Happy loved his "Cat It" brand  fountain, it did encourage him to drink more water. In addition to the fountain he would go to the sink and insist we fill up a bowl with fresh water and hold it up to him (yes we were trained well)

      Best of luck

      Diana

    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
        A feline vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson, has a site with a lot of info and specifically information on nutrition and helping dry-food addicts move on to wet food. Her info is here:
        http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity .
        Adriann
      • John Gerace
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
          My 5 year old HCM cat Maya has had many serious issues since December such
          as not eating, developing lameness, seizures. Mostly she comes back from
          them all, I have some pills the vet gave to stimulate her appetite that work
          very well. But now nothing seems to work as she can not keep any food down.
          Are there meds to make her keep her food down (anti nausea maybe)? (although
          it is sooo hard to get her to take her meds, when I give her the lasix
          pill, which she refuses, she ends up having a fit and I feel guilty for
          causing it) She can handle small small amounts of tuna when she shows an
          interest in eating,but if i bring her food (tuna) before she wants it she
          throws up clear vomit along with the food. she hasn't had a "full" meal in a
          couple days, today she just sits in a sphinx position staring at the floor
          and jumps suddenly at noises as if she was dozing off and got startled. I am
          thinking this is it for her but she has come so close to death before then
          bounces back. At first the vet and myself are overjoyed but now I cant help
          but think this is cruel and I should just end her discomfort. my vet wont
          usually euthanize an animal until it is on its last legs- and there is
          another vet in town that seems to be very anxious to end a life- all you
          gotta do is ask.
          thanks for any advice
          john

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
            Hi John,

            I'm sorry Maya is having such a hard time. My Angel Snowball did the same thing. She had a terrible time with spewing all the time.

            One thing that we did was gave her Ondansetron injections. It's an anti-nausea medication that is used for people who get chemo to keep them from throwing up. It worked wonders for Snowball. She went from throwing up every day to maybe only once a week, then it was only a couple times a month.

            You need a prescription for the medicine and some places (like your local pharmacy) the needles. I buy our Ondansetron (brand name is Zofran), from Thrivingpets.com. If you buy this at a pharmacy they sometimes charge up to $200 a vial! Crazy! So I only get it from Thrivingpets.com. I get our needles from our local pharmacy or online. The needles can be anywhere from $20 to $25 a box. These BD Ultra-Fine II Insulin Syringes are the only ones I'll use. They're very tiny and don't hurt the cats as far as I can tell.

            Ondansetron Injectible, Sandoz, 4mg / 2ml, Case of 10 Vials, $24.95
            http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/ondansetron-zofran.html

            BD Ultra-Fine II Short Needle Insulin Syringes-1/2cc 31G 5/16" -90ct
            http://www.otcwholesale.com/bd-28290.html You don't need a prescription for the needles from this site.

            I hope this helps. I'd talk to your vet about getting the prescription for the Ondansetron. At least you can try it and see if it helps.

            hugs,
            Carol and Angel Snowball
            and the gang

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
              Hi John

              If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and
              has fluid on her lungs. It is absolutely vital to deal with this first.
              Intravenous lasix is helpful and works quickly in an emergency situation and
              there are other diuretics that can be used in combination with lasix, such
              as spironolactone.

              If she has fluid on her lungs, she won't eat. It is worth a vet trip to
              listen to her lungs and confirm this as it is an emergency situation. Also if
              she isn't eating, she'll need a taurine supplement which is essential to
              cats who aren't on canned/dried catfood. Lack of taurine can produce a form
              of cardiomyopathy.

              As for stimulating her appetite I`ve no experience of this, but others will
              have. Get her lungs checked out and see if that is causing the problem

              Lyn:)

            • C.R.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                hi John,

                A way to be more sure of what's going on is to listen to her lungs. Get a stethoscope and listen for any kind of crackling or popping sounds. That's usually indicative of fluid. Also take her heart rate. Listen to how many times her heart beats in a minute (take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4). A heart rate over about 32 can be the start of fluid. If it's way higher than that, it can either be fluid or pain. The heart rate goes up with pain too.

                Sitting in that sphinx position can also be related to nausea caused from various things, including CRF. All my CRF kitties would lay that way when they had upset stomachs.

                It would be a good idea to get her to the vet for an xray to rule out the fluid thing. If that's going on, you don't want to wait.

                hugs,
                Carol and Angel Snowball
                and the gang

                > If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and has fluid on her lungs.
              • tobythelegend
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                  There are definitely good anti-nausea medications out there. I would try wrapping your cats pills in pill-pockets before you force pill her. We tried compounding medications with my cat and it lead to him losing his appetite, vomiting, etc. I tried pilling him without pill pockets and he would vomit. Wrapping about 1/3 to 1/2 a pill pocket around 1 or 2 pills keeps him from vomiting and keeps the meds down. It's worth a shot.
                • C.R.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                    OH! I meant to say respiration here, not heart rate. The respiration (how many breaths in a minute) being over 32...

                    The heart rate is anywhere from around 120 to 160. Both should be taken while sleeping or resting, not after having walked around or played, as both will go up from those activities.

                    Sorry! Not much sleep last night!

                    Carol and Angel Snowball
                    and the gang