Re: [FH] OT: Bladder stones

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
      hi -- it was that diet dry food that was keeping Toby fat. Cats need almost all protein, very low carbs.... and diet dry foods contain even MORE carbs than regular dry food. Now that he is on all-canned (with extra water added), you can let him have as much as he wants and he will still lose weight. It was just the carbs keeping him fat. Once he has the operation, you might be able to switch him to other canned foods, you'll have to see. Judi's Fibber kept producing lots of crystals even after his operation, although he never blocked again. But if Toby's were mostly caused by the dry food, you might be able to switch to Fancy Feast or Friskies after the operation, that remains to be seen. Just have a good talk with the surgeon before the operation. Cats with "special needs" should be kept in the hospital on fluids all night long before the operation, and perhap also during the operation. You need ALL the fancy monitoring equipment. But my vet told me that as long as the surgeon knows the exact condition of the cat going in, he can work faster and take more care. When a kitty dies of heart problems during an operation, it is usually because nobody KNEW he had a heart condition. If they KNOW, everything is so much better, they are prepared. I got my Tigger successfully neutered at 6 months, even tho he has HCM and I was terrified of the operation. My vet said he NEVER worked so fast!! But you also want a correct job done, what Toby is having is more complicated than just a neuter -- so do have a talk with the surgeon -- you don't want him to work so fast that he misses something and then you have to do it again......
      we'll all be praying for him!
      give him a kiss from us!
      Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
        I would just like to point out that there are some cats who will refuse to eat wet food no matter how many tricks are employed. I think we all know or have owned such a kitty at some point. I have a tortie girl now who wont go near wet food and believe me, this girl lives to eat.

        And one cannot simply "starve" them into switching foods, cats dont play that game.

        If you cant convince yours to eat canned food then I would advise you let him eat what he likes and provide as much water as possible. Having lived with a cat who would barely eat one can of Fancy Feast a day has taught me that it's most important that they eat whatever they want even if it's not the best quality. I was over the moon on those rare days Happy ate two cans.

        My angel boy Happy loved his "Cat It" brand  fountain, it did encourage him to drink more water. In addition to the fountain he would go to the sink and insist we fill up a bowl with fresh water and hold it up to him (yes we were trained well)

        Best of luck

        Diana

      • acrocat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
          A feline vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson, has a site with a lot of info and specifically information on nutrition and helping dry-food addicts move on to wet food. Her info is here:
          http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity .
          Adriann
        • John Gerace
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
            My 5 year old HCM cat Maya has had many serious issues since December such
            as not eating, developing lameness, seizures. Mostly she comes back from
            them all, I have some pills the vet gave to stimulate her appetite that work
            very well. But now nothing seems to work as she can not keep any food down.
            Are there meds to make her keep her food down (anti nausea maybe)? (although
            it is sooo hard to get her to take her meds, when I give her the lasix
            pill, which she refuses, she ends up having a fit and I feel guilty for
            causing it) She can handle small small amounts of tuna when she shows an
            interest in eating,but if i bring her food (tuna) before she wants it she
            throws up clear vomit along with the food. she hasn't had a "full" meal in a
            couple days, today she just sits in a sphinx position staring at the floor
            and jumps suddenly at noises as if she was dozing off and got startled. I am
            thinking this is it for her but she has come so close to death before then
            bounces back. At first the vet and myself are overjoyed but now I cant help
            but think this is cruel and I should just end her discomfort. my vet wont
            usually euthanize an animal until it is on its last legs- and there is
            another vet in town that seems to be very anxious to end a life- all you
            gotta do is ask.
            thanks for any advice
            john

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
              Hi John,

              I'm sorry Maya is having such a hard time. My Angel Snowball did the same thing. She had a terrible time with spewing all the time.

              One thing that we did was gave her Ondansetron injections. It's an anti-nausea medication that is used for people who get chemo to keep them from throwing up. It worked wonders for Snowball. She went from throwing up every day to maybe only once a week, then it was only a couple times a month.

              You need a prescription for the medicine and some places (like your local pharmacy) the needles. I buy our Ondansetron (brand name is Zofran), from Thrivingpets.com. If you buy this at a pharmacy they sometimes charge up to $200 a vial! Crazy! So I only get it from Thrivingpets.com. I get our needles from our local pharmacy or online. The needles can be anywhere from $20 to $25 a box. These BD Ultra-Fine II Insulin Syringes are the only ones I'll use. They're very tiny and don't hurt the cats as far as I can tell.

              Ondansetron Injectible, Sandoz, 4mg / 2ml, Case of 10 Vials, $24.95
              http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/ondansetron-zofran.html

              BD Ultra-Fine II Short Needle Insulin Syringes-1/2cc 31G 5/16" -90ct
              http://www.otcwholesale.com/bd-28290.html You don't need a prescription for the needles from this site.

              I hope this helps. I'd talk to your vet about getting the prescription for the Ondansetron. At least you can try it and see if it helps.

              hugs,
              Carol and Angel Snowball
              and the gang

            • elfinmyst@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                Hi John

                If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and
                has fluid on her lungs. It is absolutely vital to deal with this first.
                Intravenous lasix is helpful and works quickly in an emergency situation and
                there are other diuretics that can be used in combination with lasix, such
                as spironolactone.

                If she has fluid on her lungs, she won't eat. It is worth a vet trip to
                listen to her lungs and confirm this as it is an emergency situation. Also if
                she isn't eating, she'll need a taurine supplement which is essential to
                cats who aren't on canned/dried catfood. Lack of taurine can produce a form
                of cardiomyopathy.

                As for stimulating her appetite I`ve no experience of this, but others will
                have. Get her lungs checked out and see if that is causing the problem

                Lyn:)

              • C.R.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                  hi John,

                  A way to be more sure of what's going on is to listen to her lungs. Get a stethoscope and listen for any kind of crackling or popping sounds. That's usually indicative of fluid. Also take her heart rate. Listen to how many times her heart beats in a minute (take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4). A heart rate over about 32 can be the start of fluid. If it's way higher than that, it can either be fluid or pain. The heart rate goes up with pain too.

                  Sitting in that sphinx position can also be related to nausea caused from various things, including CRF. All my CRF kitties would lay that way when they had upset stomachs.

                  It would be a good idea to get her to the vet for an xray to rule out the fluid thing. If that's going on, you don't want to wait.

                  hugs,
                  Carol and Angel Snowball
                  and the gang

                  > If Maya is in the sphinx position it is likely she is in heart failure and has fluid on her lungs.
                • tobythelegend
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                    There are definitely good anti-nausea medications out there. I would try wrapping your cats pills in pill-pockets before you force pill her. We tried compounding medications with my cat and it lead to him losing his appetite, vomiting, etc. I tried pilling him without pill pockets and he would vomit. Wrapping about 1/3 to 1/2 a pill pocket around 1 or 2 pills keeps him from vomiting and keeps the meds down. It's worth a shot.
                  • C.R.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                      OH! I meant to say respiration here, not heart rate. The respiration (how many breaths in a minute) being over 32...

                      The heart rate is anywhere from around 120 to 160. Both should be taken while sleeping or resting, not after having walked around or played, as both will go up from those activities.

                      Sorry! Not much sleep last night!

                      Carol and Angel Snowball
                      and the gang