Urine stones may call for more water

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
      Hi,
      Does your cat take anything that is a diuretic-sprionolactone, lasik for
      example? Heart patients usually receive meds to remove water from their systems
      to prevent congestive heart failure. But they can also, beacause of this, get
      dehydrated. Stones indicate that he may need more water in his system. Has he
      had a CBC/chem panel? If his CK/RBC values are high but all others are normal
      (or whatever is normal range for him-based on past test results) then
      dehydration is indicated even if gums are not pale and skin tent test is normal.

      I know this because my hypertrophic cardiomyopathy cat Myrna is a bit
      dehydrated. In April, she was constipated and it caused issues. We gave fish oil
      in her food which helps but the test results indicated dehydration. The doctor
      said to give her 3 ccs of water per meal (three times a day) total in her food
      and by mouth. We use a plastic syringe from the vet to measure 3 ccs and to
      administer it by mouth and to add to the food. Her heart can handle the extra
      water and her body needs it. It's a balancing act.

      As for food, we feed other cats Royal Canin SO and we've used Hills CD. Either
      will help if the cat will eat it. But whatever you feed, the cat needs more
      water-in the food and by mouth. Don't rely solely on the cat to drink or the wet
      food alone to provide enough water.
      Good luck.
      -Joanne

      http://myrnaloycardiomyopathy.blogspot.com/?spref=fb
      Facebook page-Cats Living with Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
        Hi Joanne

        Toby doesn't take diuretics, in fact he doesn't need heart medications at
        the moment as he's stable. We're going down the food route to try and fix
        his FLUTD and he's on wet only now with water syringed four times a day. We
        give 10mls. The food is supposed to dissolve crystals. I don't want surgery
        if there are any other options but having learned so much about it this
        week I`d be happy for Toby to go ahead if there were no other choice.

        :) Lyn