Re: [FH] Re: Yuki - higher dose of lasix

  • MAUREEN FOGG
    Message 1 of 20 , May 12, 2011
      Henna,
      What is the dose that your cat was on (spironalactone). Also - how much lasix?
      by the way - Yuki is also on 1/4 baby aspirin every 3 days and 1/4 plavix every
      day.
      Thanks,
      Maureen and Yuki

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 20 , May 12, 2011
        Remember that high doses of Lasix and other diuretics can adversely affect the kidneys, so if your vets are prescribing high doses (well, even low doses), remember to keep an eye on the kidney values.

        Carol and Angel Snowball
        and the gang

      • Leo Wempu
        Message 3 of 20 , May 12, 2011
          Hi,

          My baby boy weighs about 12 pounds like Melissa's Winston and the maximum
          diuretics he got was 25 mg of lasix and 6.25 mg spironolactone daily. I've
          reduced the lasix to 20 mg. I give him his meds three times a day and try to
          keep the interval as close to 8 hours as possible. I was told (well quite
          obviously) to always opt for the smallest effective dose.

          Henna

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 20 , May 12, 2011
            Ok.  Yuki is about 12 lbs too ( a little under). So currently she is getting the
            25mg of lasix (12.5 twice a day.)  Next Wednesday when I go to see the
            cardiologist  I will see if the spiro drug is an option for us or if my
            vet thinks  combining it with the lasix will be better for Yuki so she doesnt
            have to take so much lasix and threaten her kidney values so much.  I looked up
            the spiro drug online and it sounded like it is easier on the system because it
            doesnt leech out so much potassium .. Is that correct?
            Thanks,
            Maureen and Yuki

          • Leo Wempu
            Message 5 of 20 , May 12, 2011
              I believe that's the idea. Plus for some reason the combination seemed to work
              better for us (increasing lasix from 20 to 25 at first didn't have any effect).
              I guess that could be somewhat individual though.

              There may be an added benefit in our case as well. Our cardiologist introduced
              the spiro only as a diuretic, but when I talked to my regular cats only vet, she
              said baby boy should be on spiro anyway. He has RCM and according to her spiro
              may prevent some sort of fibrosis from happening.

              I'm not sure of all the contraindications for this drug, but it's definitely
              worth to ask.

              Best of luck, Henna

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                Hi Maureen

                Kaminox and spiro both came from my vet on prescription. The kaminox was a
                dropper bottle and every night she sat there, mouth open, waiting for it to
                be dropped on her tongue as she loved it. I think kaminox is a uk
                medication but there must be similar in the states.

                Lyn :)

              • MAUREEN FOGG
                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                  Lyn,  That is too cute.  I hope  Yuki will be as eager.  Right now she is angry
                  with me
                  about the disgusting Plavix.
                  Maureen & Yuki

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                    There's amino b + k in the States. That's equivalent to kaminox. Both have a
                    whole lot of other stuff than just potassium gluconate in them though. Powder &
                    tablet forms like Tumil k and Renakare don't contain all the additional stuff.

                    Supplement only if Yuki's potassium levels are low though and test regularly if
                    supplements are needed. Hyperkalemia can be even more dangerous than
                    hypokalemia. Some drugs like ACE inhibitors and spironolactone increase
                    potassium levels, so be especially careful if Yuki will be on any of these
                    drugs.

                    Henna

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                      I am getting Yuki tested about every week to two weeks so I imagine the
                      cardiologist will know if she is low on potassium.   I have a question about the
                      nattokinase dosing.  Any idea the dosage for a 12lb kitty?  Has anyone
                      encountered side effects?
                      Thanks,
                      Maureen and Yuki

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                        I don't believe we had any side effects...none obvious...I gave Max 50mg/day...Judi

                        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                          Thanks!.  Ok - It seems that a lot of people on this group can tell when their
                          kitty is approaching CHF and is able to increase lasix to keep their cat out of
                          heart failure.  I was wondering how to recognize that an episode is coming on.
                          (Prior to the quick shallow breathing, foamy salivating, urinating, and
                          puking that Yuki has presented with).
                          Maureen and Yuki

                          ________________________________

                          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                            I always thought the most important thing was to watch the breathing rate...if it goes over 30 bpm than there's a possibility of fluid build up...Judi and Angel Max

                            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 13, 2011
                              I've been reading the threads on the posts. I don't think my bobtail is there yet with what some of you are describing. What I cannot explain is this strange convulsive "gagging" that he dose. It begins out of NO where. It just seems to come on out of thin air. His entire body covulses in and out like Bobtail is breathing in-and-out extremely fast but sounds more like a gagging sound. It's very hard to explain. We have no idea what it is or what red flag if any should be waving that there's something "underlying" here. He has no puking, eats regular meals, dry kibble, water in-take in normal. Once this seizsure is over he just walks away without any after affects from it....I don't get it???? Anyone elaborate on this type of symptom that may be a red flag for something more threatening??

                              Sue and Bobtail

                              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 14, 2011
                                Thanks Lyn,  Last night while sleeping on my lap she was at 22.  Im concerned
                                because last night her breathing became loud and wet sounding and this morning
                                as well.  I just gave her her 25 mg of lasix and I hope she quiets down.
                                Maureen and Yuki