new to list: Willow was recently diagnosed with heart failure

  • Nancy and Willow Carroll
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2011
      Willow is 17, she has chronoic respiratory issues. About a month ago she
      had an echo to determine if her heart condition was mild enough to safely
      increase her oral steroids. At the time it was determined to be safe.
      Three weeks later she was hospitalized with pleural effusion and diagnosed
      with heart failure.

      Her oral steroid was rapidly reduced (from 5.0 mg every 12 hrs to 1.25 mg
      every 12 hours) and is being tapered off. She is now on the 1.25 mg every
      24 hour portion of the taper. I was just instructed to begin taking her
      heart rate as well as her respiration rate in response to my concern about
      the safety of her continuing on theophylline.

      I sort of don't know what to ask at this point.

      --
      Nancy and Willow Carroll

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2011
        Hi Nancy; we all know how worrying it can be to get a dianosis of heart failure for your kitty. Mostly you will have to follow your vet's advice (hopefully you are seeing a cardiologist? if not, we recommend that you find one and have Willow looked at by him...he can best read the echo to decide exactly what treatment Willow needs.) You can supplement with CQ10 to help the heart and you might consider Nattokinasse to help prevent clots due to Willow's age and depending on the severity of the disease. What many of us have found is that heart kitties respond well to their meds and can sometimes greatly outlive their diagnosed time. Mostly we give them lots of attnetion knowing that they can go at any time, and lots of love, and try not to be too worried around them (they sense itand don't react well to it.) Education will help you...this is a great place to start, and there is a lot of info here to read. Good luck with Willow...I hope she has a great recovery and continued good health. Congratulations on having a 17 year old cat! I wish mine could have lived that long...
        take care...Judi and Angel Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2011
          Hi Nancy

          I am sorry to hear Willow is poorly. Steroids can push a cat into CHF quite
          quickly and it is good your vet is reducing her dose. What treatment is
          she on for heart failure? The most important thing will be diuretics to
          reduce the fluid on her lungs.

          Is it possible she can have inhaled steroids for her respiratory problem?
          They seem to be a lot safer than oral ones if she has asthma. Once
          stabilised, she will be felling a lot better and you are absolutely doing the right
          thing in learning her normal heart and breathing rates so you can monitor
          changes. I give my heart cats Cardiostrength supplement which is co-enzyme
          Q, carnitine and taurine. It seems to help but is an enormous capsule. Mine
          are greedy enough to take it whole, but you can also put the contents in a
          bit of tuna.

          I hope Willow is recovering now and feeling better.

          Lyn :)

        • D
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2011
            Did they prescribe any medication for the heart failure? She should be on something like lasix (furosemide) and enalapril. A steriod shot once pushed my kitty into heart failure, so I know how you feel. We use the aerokat inhaler tube with flovent which is an inhaled steriod, which is much safer and has worked well for my asthmatic and HCM kitties. It keeps their asthma under control while not aggravating their heart conditions. That's the medication I would recommend for asthma. It will take about a week of taking it for the medicine to kick in fully so keep that in mind.