Fw: Re: [FH] New to site, terrible loss.

  • kathy saliwonczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2011
      --- On Sun, 5/8/11, kathy saliwonczyk <ksaliwon24@...> wrote:

      From: kathy saliwonczyk <ksaliwon24@...>
      Subject: Re: [FH] New to site, terrible loss.
      To: "Donald Walker" <reklaw66@...>
      Date: Sunday, May 8, 2011, 1:00 PM

      Sorry to hear about your experience...it unfortunately sounds familiar.  Last thursday our four year old sphynx Archie was suddenly unable to use his rear legs.  He was howling in pain and incontinent of urine.  I rushed him to an emegency critical care vet and she advised me that he had thrown a "Saddle thrombus"  I was told that any other attempt to treat this would be futile.  So the vet put him to sleep in my arms.  She said he probably had HCM.  We had no idea....he was perfectly healthy.  I think I know how you feel...the pain is horrible.  Hang in there and enjoy your other kids.  We have 2 other cats, they aren't siblings but there still is much concern as the sphynx breed seems to be teeming with HCM.  We plan to get ECHOs on our other 2.  Kathy

      --- On Sat, 5/7/11, Donald Walker

      From: Donald Walker <reklaw66@...>
      Subject: [FH] New to site, terrible loss.
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 7:49 PM

      I happen to stumble upon this site, while researching the internet for anything on HCM.

      Just Yesterday we lost our 6 year old boy, "Spanky" to this disease. I never would have guessed he had heart disease. As a kitten he was diagnosed with a murmur, but the Vet didn't think much of it. He was always an active cat who loved to play with his 2 year old brother. I happened to come home early yesterday from work to find spanky laying in the hallway with labored breathing that sounded crackly. I called the vet, they said bring him in ASAP. We got there quickly, & as i went to get him out of the carrier i noticed his right front paw dangling, as if he couldn't move it. The immediately started him on oxygen & tried to stabilize him & the vet said he thinks indeed it is heart related & that he threw a clot, hence the paralysis of front leg. He did an echo cardiogram & indeed he had HCM. I was told to call in the morning to check on him, however my husband received the call first thing as i was at work with the news that he had
      taken a turn for the worse during the night & that he had thrown more clots & both rear legs were paralyzed & he was in pain.Husband called me at work & the kindest act we could do at that point was to end his pain & suffering. My husband was with him & got to hold him & for that I am grateful. I am a wreck as he held a special place in my heart. Just knowing he was his happy old self the previous night & to go from that to death so quickly just saddens me. It's nice to know that there are others out there that can relate to this & share in my pain & know how I feel. Like my husband tells me "He had a great life" to which i know, however the pain is still great. I look forward to reading all the other posts on here, to become better acquainted with this dreaded disease & all of you. Thank you for listening.