New to site, terrible loss.

  • Donald Walker
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7 4:49 PM
      I happen to stumble upon this site, while researching the internet for anything on HCM.
      Just Yesterday we lost our 6 year old boy, "Spanky" to this disease. I never would have guessed he had heart disease. As a kitten he was diagnosed with a murmur, but the Vet didn't think much of it. He was always an active cat who loved to play with his 2 year old brother. I happened to come home early yesterday from work to find spanky laying in the hallway with labored breathing that sounded crackly. I called the vet, they said bring him in ASAP. We got there quickly, & as i went to get him out of the carrier i noticed his right front paw dangling, as if he couldn't move it. The immediately started him on oxygen & tried to stabilize him & the vet said he thinks indeed it is heart related & that he threw a clot, hence the paralysis of front leg. He did an echo cardiogram & indeed he had HCM. I was told to call in the morning to check on him, however my husband received the call first thing as i was at work with the news that he had taken a turn for the worse during the night & that he had thrown more clots & both rear legs were paralyzed & he was in pain.Husband called me at work & the kindest act we could do at that point was to end his pain & suffering. My husband was with him & got to hold him & for that I am grateful. I am a wreck as he held a special place in my heart. Just knowing he was his happy old self the previous night & to go from that to death so quickly just saddens me. It's nice to know that there are others out there that can relate to this & share in my pain & know how I feel. Like my husband tells me "He had a great life" to which i know, however the pain is still great. I look forward to reading all the other posts on here, to become better acquainted with this dreaded disease & all of you. Thank you for listening.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8 5:07 AM
        Hello

        I am so sorry to hear about Spanky. Cats are very good at hiding heart
        disease and often the first sign of HCM is heart failure or a clot. There's no
        way you could have known and murmurs are common in kittens and often
        benign. Yes, he had a beautiful life and you gave him the final act of loving
        kindness to let him sleep peacefully. You mustn't blame yourself, this is a
        horrible disease that strikes cats of any age and can come on suddenly.

        This will be difficult I know, but his kitten siblings also have a 50%
        chance of HCM. If you have his brother, could he have an echocardiogram to
        check his heart? HCM can be treated and the symptoms stabilised if it is
        diagnosed and the only way to diagnose it reliably is the ultrasound.

        Lyn..

      • Donald Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8 5:58 AM
          Thank you for your kind hearted reply. I know that i could have never known about this dreaded disease, my only solace is knowing he is pain free now.
          As far as having his brother, he isn't really his biological sibling, just what i call him. LOL. They came from 2 different sets of litters entirely. Thank goodness for that. I've always had cats & this is my first experience with HCM & hopefully my last.