Supplements - Allergic reaction

  • maureen.fogg
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2011
      I gave Yuki a fish oil supplement and a CoQ10 supplement last night in her food and she had a terrible reaction. She is a very allergic cat - I know of her chicken allergy - but I wonder what set her to wheezing and twitching and scratching. There is soy lecithin in the COQ10. Or could it be the fish oil - Ive wondered if she is allergic to fish?
      Anyway we were up all night because initally I though she was having another CHF episode until I remembered that she may be having an allergic reaction.
      Any Ideas what might be causing this?
      Thanks
      Maureen and Yuki
    • D
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2011
        My guess is it is the fish oil. I remember a member here had trouble with salmon oil and her kitty once. Fish can be pretty allergic to cats sometimes.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maureen.fogg" <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

        > I gave Yuki a fish oil supplement and a CoQ10 supplement last night in her food and she had a terrible reaction. She is a very allergic cat - I know of her chicken allergy - but I wonder what set her to wheezing and twitching and scratching. There is soy lecithin in the COQ10. Or could it be the fish oil - Ive wondered if she is allergic to fish?
        > Anyway we were up all night because initally I though she was having another CHF episode until I remembered that she may be having an allergic reaction.
        > Any Ideas what might be causing this?
        > Thanks
        > Maureen and Yuki

      • Melissa Legan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2011
          I never thought cats could be or would ever be allergic to fish! UNTIL i started feeding Winston tuna at the vets recommendation because Winston needs have an extremely low fat diet because of his cylothorax. WELL---MY "Healthy" Ragdoll, OLIVER broke out in terrible bumps with scabs and itching and pulling fur out all over the house. I switched dry food thinking it was an allergy to something in the food.....LOL. Finally realized the bumps came back everytime he ate canned TUNA. So, yes, fish allergy could be likely :)

          Melissa

          My guess is it is the fish oil. I remember a member here had trouble with salmon oil and her kitty once. Fish can be pretty allergic to cats sometimes.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maureen.fogg" <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

          > I gave Yuki a fish oil supplement and a CoQ10 supplement last night in her food and she had a terrible reaction. She is a very allergic cat - I know of her chicken allergy - but I wonder what set her to wheezing and twitching and scratching. There is soy lecithin in the COQ10. Or could it be the fish oil - Ive wondered if she is allergic to fish?
          > Anyway we were up all night because initally I though she was having another CHF episode until I remembered that she may be having an allergic reaction.
          > Any Ideas what might be causing this?
          > Thanks
          > Maureen and Yuki

        • Kimberly Coleman
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2011
            Is your CoQ10 supplement a powder capsule? If so, you may want to check to see if it is flavored?
            The L-Lysine I give Bailey has a flavor to it and perhaps it could be in the flavoring. Some powders that are sprinkled on food have a flavoring.
            However, I do agree that it could very likely be the salmon oil.

            Bailey is allergic to corn and when I used the worlds best cat litter (made from corn) his little paw pads broke out. ACK!