Re: [FH] treasure

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
      It depends on the cat, I think. For some, one works better than the other. You could ask your veterinarian whether mirtazipine is an option for your bobtail.

      Lorie Huston, DVM
      Pet Health Care Gazette (http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com)

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
        Cypro worked like a miracle on my Pooh when he was sick with his brain tumor. I'd give him the pill, and within a half hour he'd start eating. He'd have a good meal, and then come back over the next couple of hours for a few more nibbles. This worked everytime. Sometimes he would eat on his own, so I didn't give it -- but whenever I felt he didn't have enough food, I gave the pill. Pooh guy, he got so skinny anyway. They need a lot of good canned food to keep up their strength to fight to live. Please try giving Treasure some food on your finger too, stick it in his mouth, or mix in water & syringe it slowly in the side by the back teeth. You've gotta keep his strength up. There is a yahoogroup for assisted feeding, I'm sure they will have even more great suggestions.

      • Renee McCartin
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
          well, the good news is my vet got me a free ultrasound. There's a traveling ultrasound who was in office today to do another cat, and he had her check Treasure's heart, his heart is perfect, they couldn't tell much about his belly because of all the liquid. . .but his guess is now that it's cancer. . . .so he's off the lasix, on something to stimulate his appetite, and it's just a waiting game. He doesnt' feel he's healthy enough to do exploratory surgery.

          Still heartbroken, but now I don't have the overwhelming need to run out and get his brother checked. . .doesn't mean losing him will be any less painful. . .treasure is my bud

          thanks to everyone here who's offered insight, even if it wasn't needed int he end. . .all I can hope is maybe to put weight on him and get hm healthy enough that maybe we can find out, or at least make his last dayso n earth as much love and caring as I can.

          Renee McCartin-Mielikki's Hunt Borzoi -www.mielikkishunt.com
          Blog: http://fastzois.blogspot.com/
          "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." ----Irving Townsend.

          Any opinion stated in this email, is mine, and mine alone.

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
            hi --- you cannot diagnose heart disease with a regular ultrasound. She would have to have an echocardiogram to know for sure. Did he take a sample of the fluid to see for sure what it is? It doesn't seem like he's doing everything he can do here -- I wish you could see a cardiologist.

          • acrocat@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
              I'm sorry to hear that, Renee. Did the cytology of the fluid bring any answers?

              I hope you and Treasure get some good time together.

              Adriann
            • Coonity Maine Coons
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
                Renee, if you had your vet send the belly fluid to a lab to check for
                high/low protein or do a Rivalta test himself as I advised already on the
                Maine Coon list you would have known much earlier. Has any bloodwork been
                done? Sadly FIP is not off the table IMO unless the bloodwork is excluding
                it (for examply by normal hematocrit, normal amount of red blood cells,
                etc.).

                Maybe a bit of Cortisone would make him feel better. If heart problems are
                excluded this would help him getting more appetite and energy, although it
                may ony be for a very limited timespan.

                kind regards,
                Ulrike

                > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

              • Carol
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
                  Renee,

                  Cyproheptadine is an antihistimine that is used as an appetite stimulant in cats. It works pretty well. We gave it to our Angel Snowball and we've given it to her sister Misty recently and it does help. The normal dose is 1/4 a tablet, but we got by with barely 1/8 and sometimes only 1/16 of a tablet.

                  You're vet may not know or may not be agreeable with the supplements that we give our heart kitties. Some vets aren't, but that doesn't mean they don't help. I truly believe they do. CoQ10, L-carnitine, DMG, taurine, all these are things we give our heart kitties. There's info on them in the group's files. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/files/

                  Don't let them tell you to give up just yet. There may be hope for Treasure yet. I'm so sorry you've gone through so much loss. My heart aches like that too. I lost 3 of my kitties in one year in 2006, so I can empathize with you so much.

                  hugs,

                  and the gang

                  From: Renee M mielikkiborzoi@...

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
                    The mirtazapine in my opinion, didn't really do that great. When my Angel Snowball took it, it would work great for the first day and then the next two days nothing. You can only give it every 3 days, because it takes that long for it to clear out of the liver.

                    AND... you CAN NOT take it if you're giving the thyroid medication, methimazole/Tapazole, because the Tapazole inhibits the enzyme necessary for the liver to clear the mirtazapine out of the body. With that happening, the mirtazaping keeps building up in the body/liver and the liver becomes toxic and can result in seizures and even I've read, death in some cases. It's not worth the risk in my opinion. The cyproheptadine may or may not work, but I think it's a much safer bet to use that instead.

                    and the gang

                    From: Bob and Sue luckyshoefarm@...

                    I have always used the Cypro appetite stimulant with little to no effect on my bobtail. Would trying the mirza stimulant work any better?? Dose anyone know?

                    There are medications, like cryptoheptadine and mirtazipine, that can be given to increase a cat's appetite if necessary.

                  • Bob and Sue
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
                      Yes. I will ask since this is the first I've heard of this other stimulant. thank you

                      Sue & Bobtail

                      --
                      Renee McCartin
                      Mielikki's Hunt Borzoi

                    • Renee McCartin

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 26, 2011
                          If you must continue this discussion, please take this personal discussion off list, and if you do so, please be respectful and considerate. This isn't something that needs to be aired to the whole group. Ulrike, please try to remember that Renee is is a lot of pain right now. We truly need to be sensitive to others' pain on this group, and not point fingers as to who is right or wrong. I've said this quite a few times, so please let's be sympathetic to others' pain and problems.

                          Carol
                          Moderator, feline-heart

                          Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
                          and the gang