Re: [FH] New to Group

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
      I definitely have to agree with that. We try to keep stress levels to a minimum with any cat with heart disease.

      We're really just beginning to understand the profound effects that stress can have on our pets, even on healthy pets. And many people don't realize how even very simple things can be stressful for a cat...things like a change in his people's routines or work schedules, visitors in the house, rearranging furniture in the house, even seeing something disagreeable outside (whether that be another cat or some other type of animal or something that frightens them), all of those things are stressful for some cats. And what bothers one cat may not bother another one, so you really have to know your own cat's personality and normal routine to be able to notice the sometimes subtle changes that stress can cause in their behavior. Of course, sometimes the signs are not so subtle, such as when a cat decides to not use the litter box :)

      Stress has even been linked to interstitial cystitis in cats. In other words, stress can cause urinary tract disease. Some veterinarians (and I agree with them) believe this type of condition is probably actually a systemic condition that affects the entire body but the symptoms that affect the urinary tract are more easily noticed than many of the other effects. So, it's not a huge reach to believe that stress can affect the heart, especially for a cat that already has heart disease.

      Lorie Huston, DVM
      Pet Health Care Gazette (http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com)