RE: [feline-heart] More on Sam and clots

  • Mellephone D'Aeriel
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
      Well Sam is still kicking. He was eating like a champ
      on Friday, but then come Saturday he had no interest.
      So I resorted to force feeding him broth, kitten milk
      and clam juice like the vet suggested. That worked
      well for Saturday, then come Sunday evening he decided
      he no longer wanted to eat at all, and now spits it
      all back out when you try and feed him. Any advice?

      He's also developed really bad diarhea. He was
      medication for that but it gets mixed into his food
      and without his food he's not been getting it. We got
      a liquid formula to put in his mouth, but everytime we
      give it to him he vomits it right back up or spits it
      out. I'm at a loss of what to do!

      He's also developed what sounds a bit like a hacking
      cough. It has me very worried. My husband said he
      started it Sunday night when he first started spitting
      out his food. I worry my husband might have gotten
      some of the broth down into his lungs.

      Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
      the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
      quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
      be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
      he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
      bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
      completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
      up.

      He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
      are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
      meds are helping.

      I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
      help him.

      Iva

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001

        All of these symptoms could be caused by his heart. It's very
        good that you're seeing the cardiologist tomorrow.

        > Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
        > the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
        > quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
        > be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
        > he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
        > bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
        > completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
        > up.

        The quick recovery in functionality is a very good sign. it
        means his immune system is dealing well with the clots. I
        suspect he'll regain most of the functionality in his limbs after
        a few months.

        I think we all try to avoid getting our hopes up ... but it's
        pretty much impossible to avoid.

        > He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
        > are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
        > meds are helping.

        Please let us know what you find out.

        > I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
        > help him.

        It sounds like you're doing everything right for him. Sam is
        very lucky to have you guys for friends :-)

        Obviously, if anything obviously serious develops before tomorrow
        (e.g., difficulty breathing), you would get him to the emergency
        vet ASAP.

        --
        JR
        Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
          Dear Iva,
          My prayers are with your little Sam. I do hope the cardiologist gives you
          good news.
          Jan

          http://joekopecky.homestead.com
          http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html

        • VHess2000@cs.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
            You can help restore circulation and function to Sam's leg by gently
            massaging the leg several times a day, manually exercising the joints, and by
            applying, in alternation, an ice pack and hot water bottle to the leg.
            This hot and cold stimulation forces the blood vessels to open and close.
            He'll hate the ice pack though, but this proved to do the trick when my cat
            was scheduled for a rear limb amputation, 1 month after suffering her first
            clot. Her leg, which had remained cool, limp and lifeless, rebounded after a
            couple days of this therapy. Make sure the hot water bottle/bag isn't hot
            enough to burn him, or course. Do this about 4 - 6 times a day.

            Have your cardioligist evaluate the cough. He could have aspirated food or
            fluids, but it might also be the cardiac cough that cats with HCM sometimes
            exhibit. In Kira's case it was very wet sounding, and sounded more like a
            sneeze.

            Victoria
          • Bob&Anne
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
              Iva,

              Of course you made the right decision. But, oh what a hard decision to have to make even when you know it is right. I am so sorry that Sam is no longer with you.

              Anne V
              Warner Robins, GA
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately things
                took a noticeable turn for the worse today.

                I took Sam to the vet at 2:30 AM because he was
                panting. They put him on Oxygen and he got better. I
                left him there overnight. My husband called the vet
                this morning and was told that his T4 count was down
                to a 5 and his heart was doing much better. However
                his liver and kidney enzymes were elevated and he had
                cancerous cells in his blood sample. They told him
                that Sam seemed very depressed. So I went immediately
                to the vets to be with him. I held him for an hour and
                petted him. He purred the whole time. The good news
                was he'd gotten control back of all of his legs and
                was moving. He was kneading my legs and seemed very
                content. But then he started having a seizure.

                The vet said he was no longer breathing on his own.
                They thought for sure he had died, but his little
                heart was still beating. They put him on oxygen. But
                they checked his eyes and said chances are he had
                brain damage. They asked if I wanted to resuscitate
                but I said no, not if his quality of life would be
                poor. They said it would, so I made the tough decision
                to have him put to sleep. He never stopped having
                little seizures. I felt so guilty. But he was still
                purring when they stopped his heart. I'm glad I got to
                hold him while he passed.

                I requested he be cremated so at the least I can give
                the remains to my friend so he can say a proper
                goodbye. And I couldn't bear the thought of him being
                disposed of like trash. It was so hard to watch, and I
                feel so terrible about what I did to him. I hope I
                made the right decision. I'm just glad I got to be
                there in the end.

                Iva

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Jonathan Rosenberg
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                  Iva,

                  I am so sorry to hear about Sam. Please know that you did what
                  was best for Sam. And God bless you for caring so well for this
                  boy, even though you were watching him for a friend. Sam was so
                  very lucky to have you in his life at this time & to be able to
                  pass in your loving arms.

                  And you were blessed to have known Sam.

                  Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

                • Jan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                    Dear Iva,
                    I'm so glad you were able to be there with Sam and able to hold him in the
                    end. I know that was a comfort for him. Do not feel bad for having him
                    PTS. It would have been worse for him to suffer, and it sounds like that is
                    exactly what would have happened. Sam was so lucky to have you. There are
                    so many little animals who would love to have a human who would love and
                    care for them, and make decisions for them. You were wonderful to Sam.
                    My prayers are with Sam, and with you.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001