upper respiratory disease?

  • dottieannwitter@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
      One of my other cats, Milo, came down with 105 degree temperature and
      upper respiratory disease, and I now have him isolated from the
      others, including HCM Spike. But Spike HAS been exposed, since they
      liked to sleep next to each other.

      I called the vet med vet, who told me to just wait and watch for
      lethargy or major symptoms other than sneezing.

      Have any of you had to deal with an HCM cat who gets an upper
      respiratory virus? What do I REALLY look for, and any advice would be
      appreciated.

      Spike is on Diltiazem, Lasix and Coumarin each day--and on my own I've
      put him on CQ10 daily--he gets between 20-30 mgs as I squirt it in his
      mouth.

      Dottie
    • dottieannwitter@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Helen" <helenandcats@n...> wrote:

        > Harpsie also has cat flu which flares up occasionally. He has a URTI
        at the
        > moment but it's quite mild. If a cat gets these, they should always
        be given
        > anitibiotics, because although these infections are viral and immune
        > antibiotics, secondary bacterial infections are very common.
        Harpsie's on
        > antibiotics right now and is much better. I hope Spike doesn't catch
        it, and
        > here's to Milo's recovery.

        Thanks, Helen. Yes, Milo is on Baytril, an antibiotic and she
        mentioned the virus could be just about anything, including the
        secondary bacterial infection. (He just got his respiratory shot two
        weeks ago today, too!) And I plan to watch Spike even MORE than I
        currently do to make sure he stays bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The
        vet said sneezes wouldn't matter, just the lethargy, not eating,
        moving, etc. And that fits poor Milo to "T." He has eaten a tiny
        amount, and drank water this morning, so that makes me happy.
      • dottieannwitter@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Helen" <helenandcats@n...> wrote:

          > Harpsie also has cat flu which flares up occasionally. He has a URTI
          at the
          > moment but it's quite mild. If a cat gets these, they should always
          be given
          > anitibiotics, because although these infections are viral and immune
          > antibiotics, secondary bacterial infections are very common.
          Harpsie's on
          > antibiotics right now and is much better. I hope Spike doesn't catch
          it, and
          > here's to Milo's recovery.

          Thanks, Helen. Yes, Milo is on Baytril, an antibiotic and she
          mentioned the virus could be just about anything, including the
          secondary bacterial infection. (He just got his respiratory shot two
          weeks ago today, too!) And I plan to watch Spike even MORE than I
          currently do to make sure he stays bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The
          vet said sneezes wouldn't matter, just the lethargy, not eating,
          moving, etc. And that fits poor Milo to "T." He has eaten a tiny
          amount, and drank water this morning, so that makes me happy.
        • Sandler, Zellene E.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
            So Milo got vaccinated a couple of weeks ago? That could be your answer. I
            have not had Widgie vaccinated since 1999 and I will not again. These
            vaccines are now thought to last at least 3 years, and most of them clearly
            say that a sick cat should not be vaccinated. Fortunately my vet agrees with
            me. My Jubi, who is FIV, was only given his initial vaccinations years ago.
            I will not give him more shots.

            Homeopathic Thuja is used to counteract the negative effects of
            vaccinations. L-lysine is an anti-viral and you might try 250 to 500 mgs
            daily til the symptoms abate.