RE: [feline-heart] More on Sam and clots

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      -----Original Message-----

      While CPK is elevated after a clot, it is not a very reliable
      primary indicator. CPK can become elevated by a large number of
      things, many of which do not indicate any medical problem at all.

      In addition to other findings (e.g., cold toes, lack of or weak
      pulse), CPK is useful in making a diagnosis.

      --
      JR
      Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
        Well Sam is still kicking. He was eating like a champ
        on Friday, but then come Saturday he had no interest.
        So I resorted to force feeding him broth, kitten milk
        and clam juice like the vet suggested. That worked
        well for Saturday, then come Sunday evening he decided
        he no longer wanted to eat at all, and now spits it
        all back out when you try and feed him. Any advice?

        He's also developed really bad diarhea. He was
        medication for that but it gets mixed into his food
        and without his food he's not been getting it. We got
        a liquid formula to put in his mouth, but everytime we
        give it to him he vomits it right back up or spits it
        out. I'm at a loss of what to do!

        He's also developed what sounds a bit like a hacking
        cough. It has me very worried. My husband said he
        started it Sunday night when he first started spitting
        out his food. I worry my husband might have gotten
        some of the broth down into his lungs.

        Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
        the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
        quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
        be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
        he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
        bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
        completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
        up.

        He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
        are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
        meds are helping.

        I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
        help him.

        Iva

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
          > Well Sam is still kicking. He was eating like a champ
          > on Friday, but then come Saturday he had no interest.
          > So I resorted to force feeding him broth, kitten milk
          > and clam juice like the vet suggested. That worked
          > well for Saturday, then come Sunday evening he decided
          > he no longer wanted to eat at all, and now spits it
          > all back out when you try and feed him. Any advice?

          > He's also developed what sounds a bit like a hacking
          > cough. It has me very worried. My husband said he
          > started it Sunday night when he first started spitting
          > out his food. I worry my husband might have gotten
          > some of the broth down into his lungs.

          All of these symptoms could be caused by his heart. It's very
          good that you're seeing the cardiologist tomorrow.

          > Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
          > the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
          > quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
          > be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
          > he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
          > bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
          > completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
          > up.

          The quick recovery in functionality is a very good sign. it
          means his immune system is dealing well with the clots. I
          suspect he'll regain most of the functionality in his limbs after
          a few months.

          I think we all try to avoid getting our hopes up ... but it's
          pretty much impossible to avoid.

          > He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
          > are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
          > meds are helping.

          Please let us know what you find out.

          > I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
          > help him.

          It sounds like you're doing everything right for him. Sam is
          very lucky to have you guys for friends :-)

          Obviously, if anything obviously serious develops before tomorrow
          (e.g., difficulty breathing), you would get him to the emergency
          vet ASAP.

          --
          JR
          Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
            Dear Iva,
            My prayers are with your little Sam. I do hope the cardiologist gives you
            good news.
            Jan

            http://joekopecky.homestead.com
            http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html

          • VHess2000@cs.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
              You can help restore circulation and function to Sam's leg by gently
              massaging the leg several times a day, manually exercising the joints, and by
              applying, in alternation, an ice pack and hot water bottle to the leg.
              This hot and cold stimulation forces the blood vessels to open and close.
              He'll hate the ice pack though, but this proved to do the trick when my cat
              was scheduled for a rear limb amputation, 1 month after suffering her first
              clot. Her leg, which had remained cool, limp and lifeless, rebounded after a
              couple days of this therapy. Make sure the hot water bottle/bag isn't hot
              enough to burn him, or course. Do this about 4 - 6 times a day.

              Have your cardioligist evaluate the cough. He could have aspirated food or
              fluids, but it might also be the cardiac cough that cats with HCM sometimes
              exhibit. In Kira's case it was very wet sounding, and sounded more like a
              sneeze.

              Victoria
            • Bob&Anne
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                Iva,

                Of course you made the right decision. But, oh what a hard decision to have to make even when you know it is right. I am so sorry that Sam is no longer with you.

                Anne V
                Warner Robins, GA
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                  Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately things
                  took a noticeable turn for the worse today.

                  I took Sam to the vet at 2:30 AM because he was
                  panting. They put him on Oxygen and he got better. I
                  left him there overnight. My husband called the vet
                  this morning and was told that his T4 count was down
                  to a 5 and his heart was doing much better. However
                  his liver and kidney enzymes were elevated and he had
                  cancerous cells in his blood sample. They told him
                  that Sam seemed very depressed. So I went immediately
                  to the vets to be with him. I held him for an hour and
                  petted him. He purred the whole time. The good news
                  was he'd gotten control back of all of his legs and
                  was moving. He was kneading my legs and seemed very
                  content. But then he started having a seizure.

                  The vet said he was no longer breathing on his own.
                  They thought for sure he had died, but his little
                  heart was still beating. They put him on oxygen. But
                  they checked his eyes and said chances are he had
                  brain damage. They asked if I wanted to resuscitate
                  but I said no, not if his quality of life would be
                  poor. They said it would, so I made the tough decision
                  to have him put to sleep. He never stopped having
                  little seizures. I felt so guilty. But he was still
                  purring when they stopped his heart. I'm glad I got to
                  hold him while he passed.

                  I requested he be cremated so at the least I can give
                  the remains to my friend so he can say a proper
                  goodbye. And I couldn't bear the thought of him being
                  disposed of like trash. It was so hard to watch, and I
                  feel so terrible about what I did to him. I hope I
                  made the right decision. I'm just glad I got to be
                  there in the end.

                  Iva

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Jonathan Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                    Iva,

                    I am so sorry to hear about Sam. Please know that you did what
                    was best for Sam. And God bless you for caring so well for this
                    boy, even though you were watching him for a friend. Sam was so
                    very lucky to have you in his life at this time & to be able to
                    pass in your loving arms.

                    And you were blessed to have known Sam.

                    Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

                  • Jan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                      Dear Iva,
                      I'm so glad you were able to be there with Sam and able to hold him in the
                      end. I know that was a comfort for him. Do not feel bad for having him
                      PTS. It would have been worse for him to suffer, and it sounds like that is
                      exactly what would have happened. Sam was so lucky to have you. There are
                      so many little animals who would love to have a human who would love and
                      care for them, and make decisions for them. You were wonderful to Sam.
                      My prayers are with Sam, and with you.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001