Re: [feline-heart] More on Sam and clots

  • Mellephone D'Aeriel
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      I don't see a CPK on his blood tests. Is it part of a
      standard blood panel or something they have to take
      seperate? His blood work was done within 24 hours
      after he threw the first and second clot and only a
      few hours before he threw the third.

      Iva

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
        I don't think it's included on many blood panels. I don't remember what it
        stands for--something like creatine phoskinase (not to be confused with
        creatinine).

        Good luck with him...

        Laura

        >I don't see a CPK on his blood tests. Is it part of a
        >standard blood panel or something they have to take
        >seperate? His blood work was done within 24 hours
        >after he threw the first and second clot and only a
        >few hours before he threw the third.
        >
        >Iva

      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
            Well Sam is still kicking. He was eating like a champ
            on Friday, but then come Saturday he had no interest.
            So I resorted to force feeding him broth, kitten milk
            and clam juice like the vet suggested. That worked
            well for Saturday, then come Sunday evening he decided
            he no longer wanted to eat at all, and now spits it
            all back out when you try and feed him. Any advice?

            He's also developed really bad diarhea. He was
            medication for that but it gets mixed into his food
            and without his food he's not been getting it. We got
            a liquid formula to put in his mouth, but everytime we
            give it to him he vomits it right back up or spits it
            out. I'm at a loss of what to do!

            He's also developed what sounds a bit like a hacking
            cough. It has me very worried. My husband said he
            started it Sunday night when he first started spitting
            out his food. I worry my husband might have gotten
            some of the broth down into his lungs.

            Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
            the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
            quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
            be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
            he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
            bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
            completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
            up.

            He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
            are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
            meds are helping.

            I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
            help him.

            Iva

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Jonathan Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
              > Well Sam is still kicking. He was eating like a champ
              > on Friday, but then come Saturday he had no interest.
              > So I resorted to force feeding him broth, kitten milk
              > and clam juice like the vet suggested. That worked
              > well for Saturday, then come Sunday evening he decided
              > he no longer wanted to eat at all, and now spits it
              > all back out when you try and feed him. Any advice?

              > He's also developed what sounds a bit like a hacking
              > cough. It has me very worried. My husband said he
              > started it Sunday night when he first started spitting
              > out his food. I worry my husband might have gotten
              > some of the broth down into his lungs.

              All of these symptoms could be caused by his heart. It's very
              good that you're seeing the cardiologist tomorrow.

              > Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
              > the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
              > quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
              > be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
              > he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
              > bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
              > completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
              > up.

              The quick recovery in functionality is a very good sign. it
              means his immune system is dealing well with the clots. I
              suspect he'll regain most of the functionality in his limbs after
              a few months.

              I think we all try to avoid getting our hopes up ... but it's
              pretty much impossible to avoid.

              > He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
              > are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
              > meds are helping.

              Please let us know what you find out.

              > I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
              > help him.

              It sounds like you're doing everything right for him. Sam is
              very lucky to have you guys for friends :-)

              Obviously, if anything obviously serious develops before tomorrow
              (e.g., difficulty breathing), you would get him to the emergency
              vet ASAP.

              --
              JR
              Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
            • Jan
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
                Dear Iva,
                My prayers are with your little Sam. I do hope the cardiologist gives you
                good news.
                Jan

                http://joekopecky.homestead.com
                http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html

              • VHess2000@cs.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                  You can help restore circulation and function to Sam's leg by gently
                  massaging the leg several times a day, manually exercising the joints, and by
                  applying, in alternation, an ice pack and hot water bottle to the leg.
                  This hot and cold stimulation forces the blood vessels to open and close.
                  He'll hate the ice pack though, but this proved to do the trick when my cat
                  was scheduled for a rear limb amputation, 1 month after suffering her first
                  clot. Her leg, which had remained cool, limp and lifeless, rebounded after a
                  couple days of this therapy. Make sure the hot water bottle/bag isn't hot
                  enough to burn him, or course. Do this about 4 - 6 times a day.

                  Have your cardioligist evaluate the cough. He could have aspirated food or
                  fluids, but it might also be the cardiac cough that cats with HCM sometimes
                  exhibit. In Kira's case it was very wet sounding, and sounded more like a
                  sneeze.

                  Victoria
                • Bob&Anne
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                    Iva,

                    Of course you made the right decision. But, oh what a hard decision to have to make even when you know it is right. I am so sorry that Sam is no longer with you.

                    Anne V
                    Warner Robins, GA
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                      Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately things
                      took a noticeable turn for the worse today.

                      I took Sam to the vet at 2:30 AM because he was
                      panting. They put him on Oxygen and he got better. I
                      left him there overnight. My husband called the vet
                      this morning and was told that his T4 count was down
                      to a 5 and his heart was doing much better. However
                      his liver and kidney enzymes were elevated and he had
                      cancerous cells in his blood sample. They told him
                      that Sam seemed very depressed. So I went immediately
                      to the vets to be with him. I held him for an hour and
                      petted him. He purred the whole time. The good news
                      was he'd gotten control back of all of his legs and
                      was moving. He was kneading my legs and seemed very
                      content. But then he started having a seizure.

                      The vet said he was no longer breathing on his own.
                      They thought for sure he had died, but his little
                      heart was still beating. They put him on oxygen. But
                      they checked his eyes and said chances are he had
                      brain damage. They asked if I wanted to resuscitate
                      but I said no, not if his quality of life would be
                      poor. They said it would, so I made the tough decision
                      to have him put to sleep. He never stopped having
                      little seizures. I felt so guilty. But he was still
                      purring when they stopped his heart. I'm glad I got to
                      hold him while he passed.

                      I requested he be cremated so at the least I can give
                      the remains to my friend so he can say a proper
                      goodbye. And I couldn't bear the thought of him being
                      disposed of like trash. It was so hard to watch, and I
                      feel so terrible about what I did to him. I hope I
                      made the right decision. I'm just glad I got to be
                      there in the end.

                      Iva

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • Jonathan Rosenberg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                        Iva,

                        I am so sorry to hear about Sam. Please know that you did what
                        was best for Sam. And God bless you for caring so well for this
                        boy, even though you were watching him for a friend. Sam was so
                        very lucky to have you in his life at this time & to be able to
                        pass in your loving arms.

                        And you were blessed to have known Sam.

                        Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

                      • Jan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                          Dear Iva,
                          I'm so glad you were able to be there with Sam and able to hold him in the
                          end. I know that was a comfort for him. Do not feel bad for having him
                          PTS. It would have been worse for him to suffer, and it sounds like that is
                          exactly what would have happened. Sam was so lucky to have you. There are
                          so many little animals who would love to have a human who would love and
                          care for them, and make decisions for them. You were wonderful to Sam.
                          My prayers are with Sam, and with you.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001