More on Sam and clots

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      One way we were able to tell my Annie had been having clots was because her
      CPK (a blood value) was way, way up. First it was 1400; eventually it went
      up to 10,000+. I don't remember the normal range, but it's well below 1400.

      The trick with the CPK is that it needs to be taken within 24 hours after a
      clot is believed to have occurred.

      Laura
    • Mellephone D'Aeriel
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
        I don't see a CPK on his blood tests. Is it part of a
        standard blood panel or something they have to take
        seperate? His blood work was done within 24 hours
        after he threw the first and second clot and only a
        few hours before he threw the third.

        Iva

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Laura Penny
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
          I don't think it's included on many blood panels. I don't remember what it
          stands for--something like creatine phoskinase (not to be confused with
          creatinine).

          Good luck with him...

          Laura

          >I don't see a CPK on his blood tests. Is it part of a
          >standard blood panel or something they have to take
          >seperate? His blood work was done within 24 hours
          >after he threw the first and second clot and only a
          >few hours before he threw the third.
          >
          >Iva

        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001

            While CPK is elevated after a clot, it is not a very reliable
            primary indicator. CPK can become elevated by a large number of
            things, many of which do not indicate any medical problem at all.

            In addition to other findings (e.g., cold toes, lack of or weak
            pulse), CPK is useful in making a diagnosis.

            --
            JR
            Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
              Well Sam is still kicking. He was eating like a champ
              on Friday, but then come Saturday he had no interest.
              So I resorted to force feeding him broth, kitten milk
              and clam juice like the vet suggested. That worked
              well for Saturday, then come Sunday evening he decided
              he no longer wanted to eat at all, and now spits it
              all back out when you try and feed him. Any advice?

              He's also developed really bad diarhea. He was
              medication for that but it gets mixed into his food
              and without his food he's not been getting it. We got
              a liquid formula to put in his mouth, but everytime we
              give it to him he vomits it right back up or spits it
              out. I'm at a loss of what to do!

              He's also developed what sounds a bit like a hacking
              cough. It has me very worried. My husband said he
              started it Sunday night when he first started spitting
              out his food. I worry my husband might have gotten
              some of the broth down into his lungs.

              Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
              the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
              quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
              be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
              he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
              bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
              completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
              up.

              He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
              are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
              meds are helping.

              I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
              help him.

              Iva

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Jonathan Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001

                All of these symptoms could be caused by his heart. It's very
                good that you're seeing the cardiologist tomorrow.

                > Aside from all that he's still alert during most of
                > the day and he loves to be petted. He moves around
                > quite a bit in his 'area' and his front paw seems to
                > be a bit more useful to him. He still drags it but now
                > he can at least swing it forward, and I've seen him
                > bend the arm. His back legs are still weak, but one is
                > completely all better now. I'm scared to get my hopes
                > up.

                The quick recovery in functionality is a very good sign. it
                means his immune system is dealing well with the clots. I
                suspect he'll regain most of the functionality in his limbs after
                a few months.

                I think we all try to avoid getting our hopes up ... but it's
                pretty much impossible to avoid.

                > He sees the cardiologist tomorrow at 1 PM, and they
                > are also going to recheck his T4 count to see if the
                > meds are helping.

                Please let us know what you find out.

                > I could still use and appreciate any advice on how to
                > help him.

                It sounds like you're doing everything right for him. Sam is
                very lucky to have you guys for friends :-)

                Obviously, if anything obviously serious develops before tomorrow
                (e.g., difficulty breathing), you would get him to the emergency
                vet ASAP.

                --
                JR
                Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
              • Jan
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
                  Dear Iva,
                  My prayers are with your little Sam. I do hope the cardiologist gives you
                  good news.
                  Jan

                  http://joekopecky.homestead.com
                  http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html

                • VHess2000@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                    You can help restore circulation and function to Sam's leg by gently
                    massaging the leg several times a day, manually exercising the joints, and by
                    applying, in alternation, an ice pack and hot water bottle to the leg.
                    This hot and cold stimulation forces the blood vessels to open and close.
                    He'll hate the ice pack though, but this proved to do the trick when my cat
                    was scheduled for a rear limb amputation, 1 month after suffering her first
                    clot. Her leg, which had remained cool, limp and lifeless, rebounded after a
                    couple days of this therapy. Make sure the hot water bottle/bag isn't hot
                    enough to burn him, or course. Do this about 4 - 6 times a day.

                    Have your cardioligist evaluate the cough. He could have aspirated food or
                    fluids, but it might also be the cardiac cough that cats with HCM sometimes
                    exhibit. In Kira's case it was very wet sounding, and sounded more like a
                    sneeze.

                    Victoria
                  • Bob&Anne
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                      Iva,

                      Of course you made the right decision. But, oh what a hard decision to have to make even when you know it is right. I am so sorry that Sam is no longer with you.

                      Anne V
                      Warner Robins, GA
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                        Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately things
                        took a noticeable turn for the worse today.

                        I took Sam to the vet at 2:30 AM because he was
                        panting. They put him on Oxygen and he got better. I
                        left him there overnight. My husband called the vet
                        this morning and was told that his T4 count was down
                        to a 5 and his heart was doing much better. However
                        his liver and kidney enzymes were elevated and he had
                        cancerous cells in his blood sample. They told him
                        that Sam seemed very depressed. So I went immediately
                        to the vets to be with him. I held him for an hour and
                        petted him. He purred the whole time. The good news
                        was he'd gotten control back of all of his legs and
                        was moving. He was kneading my legs and seemed very
                        content. But then he started having a seizure.

                        The vet said he was no longer breathing on his own.
                        They thought for sure he had died, but his little
                        heart was still beating. They put him on oxygen. But
                        they checked his eyes and said chances are he had
                        brain damage. They asked if I wanted to resuscitate
                        but I said no, not if his quality of life would be
                        poor. They said it would, so I made the tough decision
                        to have him put to sleep. He never stopped having
                        little seizures. I felt so guilty. But he was still
                        purring when they stopped his heart. I'm glad I got to
                        hold him while he passed.

                        I requested he be cremated so at the least I can give
                        the remains to my friend so he can say a proper
                        goodbye. And I couldn't bear the thought of him being
                        disposed of like trash. It was so hard to watch, and I
                        feel so terrible about what I did to him. I hope I
                        made the right decision. I'm just glad I got to be
                        there in the end.

                        Iva

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      • Jonathan Rosenberg
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                          Iva,

                          I am so sorry to hear about Sam. Please know that you did what
                          was best for Sam. And God bless you for caring so well for this
                          boy, even though you were watching him for a friend. Sam was so
                          very lucky to have you in his life at this time & to be able to
                          pass in your loving arms.

                          And you were blessed to have known Sam.

                          Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

                        • Jan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                            Dear Iva,
                            I'm so glad you were able to be there with Sam and able to hold him in the
                            end. I know that was a comfort for him. Do not feel bad for having him
                            PTS. It would have been worse for him to suffer, and it sounds like that is
                            exactly what would have happened. Sam was so lucky to have you. There are
                            so many little animals who would love to have a human who would love and
                            care for them, and make decisions for them. You were wonderful to Sam.
                            My prayers are with Sam, and with you.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001