Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [feline-heart] Sam and other stuff!

Expand Messages
  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    ... Coumadin use is rare in cats, as it is rather dangerous & hard to monitor. But, heparin is commonly used for the 1st 72 hours after an episode. Since
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      -----Original Message-----
      > From: Mellephone D'Aeriel [mailto:mellephone@...]
      > Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 4:42 PM
      > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Sam and other stuff!

      > To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
      > vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
      > emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
      > runs a 24 hour clinic. . . .
      > Although his
      > regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
      > heparin or coumadin?

      Coumadin use is rare in cats, as it is rather dangerous & hard to
      monitor. But, heparin is commonly used for the 1st 72 hours
      after an episode. Since that time frame is already past, there
      is no need to consider it now.

      > I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
      > going to be expensive! Ouch.

      Yep. Good medical care (for humans or felines) is expensive.

      > Now the only cardiologist
      > we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
      > till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
      > Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
      > since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
      > range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
      > throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
      > between clots.

      Once a cat has thrown a clot, there is no way to know if he will
      throw any more or when they will occur. It could be days,
      months, years or never. Our old guy Lynx threw 3 clots within a
      6 weeks period, then never threw another. I atrtribute that to
      luck & prompt, aggressive treatment for his heart disease.

      > She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
      > cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
      > calling around and I found a cardiologist in
      > Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
      > keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
      > cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
      > the last thing I want to do is stress his heart.

      It doesn't sound like Sam is in a critical situation right now,
      so I can't imagine that a day will matter. But, you need to make
      that decision, of course. As you point out, the stress on him
      might be worse than the extra day's wait. Obviously, if any
      other problems show up, you should rush him to an emergency vet.

      > Iva

      --
      JR
      Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.