Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors attenuate cardiac hypertrophy by suppressing autophagy

  • Ana Gutierrez
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011
      Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 10, 260 (April 2011) | doi:10.1038/nrd3427

      IN BRIEF:
      Cardiovascular disease

      Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors attenuate cardiac hypertrophy by
      suppressing autophagy

      Cao, D. J. et al. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108, 4123�4128 (2011)

      - Article <http://www.pnas.org/content/108/10/4123.abstract>

      Histone deacetylases (HDACs) regulate cardiac plasticity but their
      molecular target (or targets) are not known. This paper showed that
      autophagy mediated by HDAC1 and HDAC2 contributes to pathological cardiac
      remodelling. In cultured cardiomyocytes, hypertrophy and autophagy were
      blocked by any of three structurally distinct HDAC inhibitors, and in mice
      with pre-existing hypertrophy, treatment with the HDAC inhibitor
      trichostatin A caused ventricular mass to revert to near-normal levels and
      completely normalized ventricular function

      If someone wants de original research paper, send me an email, and I'll
      reply with the attachment.

      Best for you and your heart kitties,
      Ana & Punky