Can anyone help...HCM and CRF kit with shoulder pain?

  • Rose
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      I could really use some advice on personal experience of pain relief for kitties with heart and kidney problems. She was in CHF six months ago and is being treated for CRF and HCM. She is currently taking:

      Fortekor
      Frusemide
      Aspirin
      Potassium supplement
      Phosphorous Binder
      Slippery Elm Bark

      She has been to the vet twice recently for pain that is originating from her shoulder. The vet is unsure if this is a soft tissue injury, but has ruled out arthritis. He thinks that a tumour within the bone is also a possibility. He offered Metacam for pain relief, which I have declined. Can you advise of any suitable pain relief for Sophie that would not impact too much on her other conditions and current medication.

      I posted this to the CRF group as well, and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

      Rose and Sophie
    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        Have you had an x-ray done? That is a very important first step. How did your vet rule out arthritis?
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi Rose

          Unfortunately there are few treatments for pain that won't affect the
          hearts or kidneys. I was in your position, Tess has heart and kidney issues and
          arthritis. She was in pain and needed a pain killer so we chose to use
          metacam for a long time and then switched to tramadol. The pain killers would
          have made her kidneys worse but we had a wonderful few months with her and
          she was pain free and purred so much.

          It's a horrible choice to juggle conditions. There is some evidence that
          turmeric helps inflammation and there are supplements available in veterinary
          form.

        • Rose Toney
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            Hi Lyn,

            many thanks for that. We know we are on borrowed time with Soph - ever since she went into CHF six months ago (they thought she wouldn't last the weekend), we have been grateful for any time we have been granted.

            After sixteen years of love and cuddles, we want to do our best for her - I think you are right, whatever makes her remaining time as comfortable as possible is the best that we can do.

            I will ask tomorrow about Tramadol.

            Thanks again,

            Rose and Sophie

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
              Hi

              Tramadol isn't licensed for cats but human drugs can be used when there is
              no alternative. Tess had a third of a capsule once a day and it made the
              end of her life bearable. It's a very difficult decision but we chose a
              shortened time which was pain free and happy and she could sit in the sunshine.
              Her arthritis was very bad and she died of kidney failure but I have no
              regrets whatsoever about giving her painkillers.

              Lyn.

            • LorieAHuston@cs.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                Hi Rose.

                I think it was a good decision to decline the metacam in this situation, especially in light of the fact that Sophie's kidneys are already compromised. I would stay away from any NSAIDs. My suggestion for pain relief in a situation like this would be something like Tramadol.

                Good luck. It's really hard to see our kitties in pain and not be able to do anything about it.

                Lorie Huston, DVM
                Pet Health Care Gazette (www.pet-health-care-gazette.com)

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                  Hi Rose,

                  Sorry to hear you and your little one are going through all this. Since she's
                  on the potassium supplement, are you sure it's still not too low? The pain in
                  her shoulder could be sensitivity in the muscle from too low potassium. Once a
                  kitty is on potassium, regular blood work should be done to make sure it's still
                  not too low, or too high. When was the last blood panel done?

                  I've had a couple of kitties on potassium supplements, and it's always a
                  balancing act. The blood panel may show the potassium is within the low end of
                  normal, but that still may be too low for her. The blood panel only measures
                  the potassium in the blood, and not in the muscle. By the time the values are
                  at the low end of normal, it's usually way too low in the muscles.

                  Hope this helps, and best wishes to you and Sophie,
                  Cathy

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2011
                    Bastet has both CRF and advanced HCM, advanced arthritis, megacolon and chronic pancreatitis. She gets Buprenex for pain (and it works). Her internist says it is the only safe pain medication for her condition. She doesn't need very much (about 0.05ml once to three times a day to bring relief. The only concern about Buprenex for her is that it is constipating, but I raise the Miralax slightly if that appears to be happening vs reduce the Buprenex.
                    Bastet's regular vet has also started doing acupuncture, and I think that may be helping with her mobility.
                    Pat

                    > I could really use some advice on personal experience of pain
                    > relief for kitties with heart and kidney problems. She was in
                    > CHF six months ago and is being treated for CRF and HCM. She is
                    > currently taking:
                    >
                    > Fortekor
                    > Frusemide
                    > Aspirin
                    > Potassium supplement
                    > Phosphorous Binder
                    > Slippery Elm Bark
                    >
                    > She has been to the vet twice recently for pain that is
                    > originating from her shoulder. The vet is unsure if this is a
                    > soft tissue injury, but has ruled out arthritis. He thinks that
                    > a tumour within the bone is also a possibility. He offered
                    > Metacam for pain relief, which I have declined. Can you advise
                    > of any suitable pain relief for Sophie that would not impact too
                    > much on her other conditions and current medication.
                    >
                    > I posted this to the CRF group as well, and any suggestions
                    > would be much appreciated.
                    >

                    > Rose and Sophie

                    � I have lived with several Zen masters � all of them cats.� - Eckhart Tolle, The Power of NOW.