Re: [feline-heart] Sam and other stuff!

  • Mellephone D'Aeriel
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      Sam is still hanging in there like a champion! Thanks
      for asking. Yesterday he actually ate and drank for me
      on his own. But today we are back to force feedings.
      He does seem bright and alert, and aside from the fact
      he gets very sleeping at night and scares me with his
      inactivity, during the day he's just as mentally there
      as any of my other cats.

      To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
      vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
      emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
      runs a 24 hour clinic. I did speak to Sam's regular
      vet who said that his T4 count last year was an 11, so
      he suspected he wasn't getting his meds to their full
      extent. Umm, so why the hell didn't he tell my friend
      the risks involved if it stayed up? Why didn't he
      reccomend a new technique for giving him the meds
      and/or then do a followup? It's so frustrating I
      wanted to scream and pop his little head. Although his
      regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
      heparin or coumadin?

      I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
      going to be expensive! Ouch. Now the only cardiologist
      we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
      till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
      Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
      since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
      range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
      throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
      between clots. She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
      cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
      calling around and I found a cardiologist in
      Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
      keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
      cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
      the last thing I want to do is stress his heart. The
      ER vet did have their oncologist look at Sam. The
      oncologist did a chest u/s for free and said his heart
      had considerable thickening in the left ventricle,
      with signs of smoke or thrombus? What does that mean?

      I got photocopies of all his records. Is there a link
      I could go to, to see what all the different things
      mean?

      I did forget to mention Sam has had a level 3 heart
      murmer for the last 8 years, and has been on his
      tapazole with no side effects for 2 years.

      Iva

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        Iva,

        I had a cat who had a series of blood clots, and about a week lapsed between
        the first and second clots. By the third week, she deteriorated rapidly and
        had numerous clots.

        I think the smoky appearance in the heart means that other clots are
        forming. The thickening of the left ventricle is typical of hypertrophic
        cardiomyopathy.

        Here's an excellent link:

        http://maxshouse.com/hypertrophic_cardiomyopathy.htm

        I hope Sam does OK...I know how scary this is. I've had three cats with HCM,
        two of whom are still alive.

        Laura

        >Sam is still hanging in there like a champion! Thanks
        >for asking. Yesterday he actually ate and drank for me
        >on his own. But today we are back to force feedings.
        >He does seem bright and alert, and aside from the fact
        >he gets very sleeping at night and scares me with his
        >inactivity, during the day he's just as mentally there
        >as any of my other cats.
        >
        >To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
        >vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
        >emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
        >runs a 24 hour clinic. I did speak to Sam's regular
        >vet who said that his T4 count last year was an 11, so
        >he suspected he wasn't getting his meds to their full
        >extent. Umm, so why the hell didn't he tell my friend
        >the risks involved if it stayed up? Why didn't he
        >reccomend a new technique for giving him the meds
        >and/or then do a followup? It's so frustrating I
        >wanted to scream and pop his little head. Although his
        >regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
        >heparin or coumadin?
        >
        >I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
        >going to be expensive! Ouch. Now the only cardiologist
        >we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
        >till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
        >Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
        >since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
        >range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
        >throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
        >between clots. She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
        >cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
        >calling around and I found a cardiologist in
        >Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
        >keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
        >cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
        >the last thing I want to do is stress his heart. The
        >ER vet did have their oncologist look at Sam. The
        >oncologist did a chest u/s for free and said his heart
        >had considerable thickening in the left ventricle,
        >with signs of smoke or thrombus? What does that mean?
        >
        >I got photocopies of all his records. Is there a link
        >I could go to, to see what all the different things
        >mean?
        >
        >I did forget to mention Sam has had a level 3 heart
        >murmer for the last 8 years, and has been on his
        >tapazole with no side effects for 2 years.
        >
        >Iva

      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
          > To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
          > vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
          > emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
          > runs a 24 hour clinic. . . .
          > Although his
          > regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
          > heparin or coumadin?

          Coumadin use is rare in cats, as it is rather dangerous & hard to
          monitor. But, heparin is commonly used for the 1st 72 hours
          after an episode. Since that time frame is already past, there
          is no need to consider it now.

          > I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
          > going to be expensive! Ouch.

          Yep. Good medical care (for humans or felines) is expensive.

          > Now the only cardiologist
          > we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
          > till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
          > Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
          > since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
          > range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
          > throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
          > between clots.

          Once a cat has thrown a clot, there is no way to know if he will
          throw any more or when they will occur. It could be days,
          months, years or never. Our old guy Lynx threw 3 clots within a
          6 weeks period, then never threw another. I atrtribute that to
          luck & prompt, aggressive treatment for his heart disease.

          > She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
          > cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
          > calling around and I found a cardiologist in
          > Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
          > keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
          > cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
          > the last thing I want to do is stress his heart.

          It doesn't sound like Sam is in a critical situation right now,
          so I can't imagine that a day will matter. But, you need to make
          that decision, of course. As you point out, the stress on him
          might be worse than the extra day's wait. Obviously, if any
          other problems show up, you should rush him to an emergency vet.

          --
          JR
          Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet