RE: [feline-heart] Introducing Roscoe

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
      -----Original Message-----

      Frankly, I hope that you don't have to join us ... but if you do,
      welcome to a great group of people (& furballs).

      > He has been diabetic for 2 years, but despite being
      > hard to regulate
      > . . .

      > Two nights ago, he suddenly started staggering badly
      > and only walked about 5 feet and then sink slowly to the floor.
      > I took him to emergency. B.P. was O.K. (150) Thyroid fine.
      > Glucose not bad. Temp normal.
      > But heart racing (Gallop rhythm) at 230.

      > Vet said probably "Vascular Episode" in brain. Does
      > that mean a stroke?

      Sounds like that's what the vet meant. Do you have paperwork
      that you can look at to see the specific diagnosis?

      > Regular vet said something about "throwing something" Clots?

      That's probably what the vet was referring to. If he/she
      suspected clots, he/she would have checked for pulses to the legs
      & for coldness in the toes (weak/nonexistent pulses are signs of
      a clot). Did he/she do this?

      > Since then he is still unsteady. Walks about 10 feet
      > at most before sinking to ground. Still bright-eyed, eating and
      > interested in life.

      > I'll take him back to vet on Tues where she will
      > probably do an X-ray and send him for sonogram to get better
      > diagnosis.

      Given the potential heart involvement, I strongly recommend a
      visit to a vet cardiologist ASAP.

      --
      JR
      Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
        Thanks for reply Jonathan.
        I plan to find out whatever I can to help Roscoe deal with his problem.
        Keep you posted on the board. Valerie and Roscoe

        --
        JR
        Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
          When they "throw clots" they typically go down in their back legs. If
          Roscoe has heart problems, sub-qs could be a problem. Is there a
          cardiologist you could take him to? I also have a cat that had some type of
          (what looked like a) seizure. Turns out there were no heart problems.
          Appears to be some kind of neurological incident that is common in cats in
          the fall. They typically regain all of their abilities. I have been lucky
          in that my baby is ok right now (knock on wood). Did Roscoe has any type
          of neurological looking things going on such as nystagmus (eyes flickering
          back and forth), shaking of the head, etc.? Sending prayers for Roscoe,
          Jan

          http://joekopecky.homestead.com
          http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
          > I suspect we are about to join your group.
          > Roscoe is a dear old fellow almost 19 yrs old.
          >
          > He has been diabetic for 2 years, but despite being hard to regulate
          > and tests showing he is barely in acceptable regulation, he has been
          > very well. Active (though slow in movements) and interested in life.
          > Beginning CRF. I watch him like an eagle and try hard to do the best
          > for him. Gave him first Sub-Q this morning. No problem with syringe.
          >
          > Two nights ago, he suddenly started staggering badly and only walked
          > about 5 feet and then sink slowly to the floor. I took him to
          > emergency. B.P. was O.K. (150) Thyroid fine. Glucose not bad.Temp
          > normal.
          > But heart racing (Gallop rhythm) at 230.
          >
          > Vet said probably "Vascular Episode" in brain. Does that mean a
          > stroke?
          > Regular vet said something about "throwing something" Clots?
          >
          > Since then he is still unsteady. Walks about 10 feet at most before
          > sinking to ground. Still bright-eyed, eating and interested in life.
          >
          > I'll take him back to vet on Tues where she will probably do an
          > X-ray and send him for sonogram to get better diagnosis.
          >
          > Since I've had immense help from Diabetes board,I'm hoping to learn
          > all I can from experienced pet lovers here.
          >
          > Hoping his ailments can be managed and I'll be contributing here.
          > Valerie and Roscoe.

        • Laura Penny
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
            One time Kassy started twitching and shaking her head (before her hyperT dx,
            which can cause head twitching). We thought she had a seizure, but it turned
            out she had a ton of wax in her ears that was annoying her.

            Laura