Re: [feline-heart] Re: Added another diuretic...

  • Nancy Wahlstrom
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for the website.

      My cat is on lasix. he weighs 7 lbs. he was getting 10 mg per day but needed
      to be drained about every 5 days. he then went on 12.5 mg and his chest
      remained clear. Now his potassium is down and our vet wants us to cut back
      the lasix. I have a few questions for you. What kind of dose were you using
      for what size animal. Did it throw off electrolytes? I hope you can help me.
      My cat is so sweet and only about 3 years old.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
        I am so interested about news on diuretics. My cat is about 3 and has and
        keeps filling with chest fluid. I was wondering what is your dosage of lasix
        and for what size animal. Have electrolytes gone out of whack with the dose?
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
          > --- In feline-heart@y..., "Nancy Wahlstrom" <nancyw@e...> wrote:
          >
          > My cat is on lasix. he weighs 7 lbs. he was getting 10 mg per day but
          > needed to be drained about every 5 days. he then went on 12.5 mg and
          > his chest remained clear. Now his potassium is down and our vet wants
          > us to cut back the lasix. I have a few questions for you. What kind of
          > dose were you using for what size animal.

          Nancy, sorry to hear about your sweet (and so young) kitty.

          My Sunny weighed about 1 kg, or 2.2 pounds. At one point, before we added
          the amiloride/hctz, she was getting 8 mg of lasix ever six hours. Yes,
          really... It was a lot. That was much more than was listed as the top
          dose in many ferret books, but me and my vet did some consulting and found
          that some ferrets tolerate really high doses and it's a "dose to effect"
          drug, so we just used what we had to. It's not terribly long-acting. We
          did get a long boost when we went from giving it twice a day to three
          times a day. I can't remember how much we decreased it when she went on
          the amiloride/hctz, but it was significant. She compensated by drinking a
          whole lot; I read that some animals don't tolerate the really high doses
          and just get dehydrated, so of course you have to watch the individual.

          Sunny was never tapped, but she never had fluid *around* her lungs, only
          actually in her lungs. I think my vet mentioned once that taps were
          usually needed once the fluid was around the lungs, because diuretics
          weren't so good at getting it out from there even though they work well on
          fluid inside the lungs.

          > Did it throw off electrolytes?

          Yes, eventually, we did have to give her Tumil-K as a potassium
          supplement. For the longest time, she was in a delicate balance between
          the lotensin/benazepril and spironolactone (both can increase potassium)
          and the lasix (wastes potassium) and didn't need supplementation. But
          then, sure enough, she did need it eventually. The Amiloride/HCTZ was
          another one that spares potassium, if memory serves.

          At any rate, it may be worth checking with your vet about either
          supplementing potassium or adding another diuretic that spares potassium
          in the body... Whatever it takes to keep your baby's fluid at bay...

          Best of wishes to you and your kitty,

          -Pam S.
        • Nancy Wahlstrom
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
            Thanks so much for the information.

          • mukki2@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
              My cat (who ranges from 10-11 lbs) started on 12.5mg a day when he
              was first diagnosed and went up to 8 tabs a day (100mg), which, yes,
              is insane. I have consulted with a cardiologist who has said that
              37.5mg can be used every 8-12 hours when the cat is in severe
              distress. No one else has ever given me a number 1/2 that high,
              however, so I really wouldn't recommend doing anything like that on
              your own. My vet knows that my cat experiences severe stress from
              going to the vet so he provides me with dosage amounts with the
              caveat that I must watch for signs of kidney failure and that
              bloodwork really should be done quite often.

              At any rate, I believe Smer's electrolytes were only affected
              slightly. His kidneys only showed minor BUN elevation, but that was
              during his bladder infection when they thought the infection may have
              spread to his kidneys.

              After about 4 tablets a day, the high doses seemed to stop working.
              Apparently, the receptors on the kidneys had been overloaded. So, I
              added the new diuretic and reduced the lasix to 24 mgs a day (on the
              vet's recommendation).

              Hope that helps. I haven't heard of anyone using such high dosages of
              lasix. But, in Smer's case, we were either going to have to put him
              to sleep or take the risk of a higher dose. Of course, if I had
              learned about the hydrochlorthiazide earlier, I wouldn't have had to
              take the risk.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • mukki2@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
                I should add that Smer takes all of his meds ground up in wet food. I
                have always wondered whether this reduces the effect of the
                medication, but everyone tells me that it doesn't. Smer was probably
                able to handle such a high dose because he had been on lasix for so
                long that it just wasn't affecting him as much.

              • Jan
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
                  Good info on checking into the potassium sparing diuretics. My prayers are
                  with you. My Pretty Girl had the same problem with fluid build up.
                  Jan

                  http://joekopecky.homestead.com
                  http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
                  > > My cat is on lasix. he weighs 7 lbs. he was getting 10 mg per day but
                  > > needed to be drained about every 5 days. he then went on 12.5 mg and
                  > > his chest remained clear. Now his potassium is down and our vet wants
                  > > us to cut back the lasix. I have a few questions for you. What kind of
                  > > dose were you using for what size animal.
                  >
                  > Nancy, sorry to hear about your sweet (and so young) kitty.
                  >
                  > My Sunny weighed about 1 kg, or 2.2 pounds. At one point, before we added
                  > the amiloride/hctz, she was getting 8 mg of lasix ever six hours. Yes,
                  > really... It was a lot. That was much more than was listed as the top
                  > dose in many ferret books, but me and my vet did some consulting and found
                  > that some ferrets tolerate really high doses and it's a "dose to effect"
                  > drug, so we just used what we had to. It's not terribly long-acting. We
                  > did get a long boost when we went from giving it twice a day to three
                  > times a day. I can't remember how much we decreased it when she went on
                  > the amiloride/hctz, but it was significant. She compensated by drinking a
                  > whole lot; I read that some animals don't tolerate the really high doses
                  > and just get dehydrated, so of course you have to watch the individual.
                  >
                  > Sunny was never tapped, but she never had fluid *around* her lungs, only
                  > actually in her lungs. I think my vet mentioned once that taps were
                  > usually needed once the fluid was around the lungs, because diuretics
                  > weren't so good at getting it out from there even though they work well on
                  > fluid inside the lungs.
                  >
                  > > Did it throw off electrolytes?
                  >
                  > Yes, eventually, we did have to give her Tumil-K as a potassium
                  > supplement. For the longest time, she was in a delicate balance between
                  > the lotensin/benazepril and spironolactone (both can increase potassium)
                  > and the lasix (wastes potassium) and didn't need supplementation. But
                  > then, sure enough, she did need it eventually. The Amiloride/HCTZ was
                  > another one that spares potassium, if memory serves.
                  >
                  > At any rate, it may be worth checking with your vet about either
                  > supplementing potassium or adding another diuretic that spares potassium
                  > in the body... Whatever it takes to keep your baby's fluid at bay...
                  >
                  > Best of wishes to you and your kitty,
                  >
                  > -Pam S.

                • Nancy Wahlstrom
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
                    I am trying to build up the potassium with banana baby food. So far my Wiley
                    is eating it when mixed with food. I hope it works on the potassium
                    deficiency. We will get new blood work in another week. We have not had to
                    have Wiley drained in about 20 days!