Regular Vet today & Cardio Vet on Friday (HOCM)

  • furbabymama
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
      Ash, with HOCM, had his annual check up with his vet this evening. He listened to his heart long and hard in several positions and then told me it sounded better than it has before; less loud and pronounced. He marked it a III this time instead of a IV. Of course I like the sounds of that, but we'll see what the cardio vet says when Ash goes for his echo on Friday. I know it's progressive, but I always hope for the smallest amount of change. I also always have nervous worry as we get closer to his semiannual echo. Please send good vibes our way!

      Shonna & Ash
      Coal, Starsky, Val, Ichi, & Angel Obi
    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
        Hi Shonna

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "furbabymama" <saokada@...> wrote:

        > Ash, with HOCM, had his annual check up with his vet this evening. He listened to his heart long and hard in several positions and then told me it sounded better than it has before; less loud and pronounced. He marked it a III this time instead of a IV.

        Kitties with HOCM have a dynamic murmur; that means the murmur can vary in intensity based on the heart rate. This is why kitties with HOCM that go on heart rate lowering medication like atenolol can have a less intense murmur once they are on the medication.

        Fingers crossed for a good checkup that shows NO progression :)

        Adriann
      • furbabymama
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
          Thanks, Adriann. I hope there's no progression too, but I know that might be too much to ask for.

          Ash has been on Atenolol for two years, so wouldn't he have heard a change before now? (Ash has been to his regular vet more frequently than just annually.)

          Shonna

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "acrocat@..." <acrocat@...> wrote:

          > Kitties with HOCM have a dynamic murmur; that means the murmur can vary in intensity based on the heart rate. This is why kitties with HOCM that go on heart rate lowering medication like atenolol can have a less intense murmur once they are on the medication.
          >
          > Fingers crossed for a good checkup that shows NO progression :)
          >
          > Adriann

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
            I think we are all extremely grateful if things stay the same -- it's a great blessing if they just don't ever get worse!

          • acrocat@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "furbabymama" <saokada@...> wrote:

              > Thanks, Adriann. I hope there's no progression too, but I know that might be too much to ask for.
              >
              > Ash has been on Atenolol for two years, so wouldn't he have heard a change before now? (Ash has been to his regular vet more frequently than just annually.)

              It depends how stressed the kitty is too :) It's possible for the intensity to change in the course of a single visit as the cat goes from less stressed to more stressed !
            • elfinmyst@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
                Hi

                HCM can stabilise for a long time and in my case I have had cats which have
                actually improved slightly. I say this cautiously because I don't want to
                give anyone false hope. By improvement I mean the walls are slightly less
                thickened and the the heart output seems more stable. It is a progressive
                disease but can remain stable for years.

                Lyn:)

              • Judi Levens
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
                  Hi Shonna; it is possible to have improvement over the course of the disease...Max definitely had improvements which helped him to last 3.5 yeras after dx...so, congratulations, and good luck with the cardiologist...Judi and Angel Max

                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  From: saokada@...
                  Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:46:13 +0000
                  Subject: [FH] Regular Vet today & Cardio Vet on Friday (HOCM)