Re: [feline-heart] Sam and other stuff!

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      Garyandana901@... wrote:

      > Do any of you monitor heart rate and/or the murmurs your little ones may have
      > at home? I'm just so neurotic that I stopped by a healthcare store yesterday
      > and bought a stethoscope. I wanted to know what Tigger's heart rate was at
      > rest, since he's so completely stressed at the vet's office that they
      > probably have NO IDEA what his heart rate actually is. What would be
      > considered normal? And does anyone have any idea whether I would be able to
      > hear a Grade 1 murmur?

      A stetoscope is a wonderful investment. You can buy one for as low as $10. It
      is a good idea to learn what your kitty's heart sounds like when normal so that
      you can detect a change, such as fluid build up, before there is a problem. As
      my kitties get older, I am planning on doing more at home check ups to anticipate
      problems before they arise. I am weighing all of them weekly too for that
      reason. Being informed is the best tool to avoid crisis.

      Anyes and the girls
    • Garyandana901@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        The one that I bought was $18.95, but came with large and small diaphragms,
        and small, medium and large bell attachments. Each attachment has a
        different purpose (such as hearing high-pitched or low-pitched murmurs), but
        I found out quickly that the infant/pediatric attachments are pretty much the
        only useful ones for Tigger. As a side note, listening to my kitties purr
        through the stethoscope was FUN!! :-) What a wonderful sound!

        Dana & Tigger (who finds Mom's fascination with the stethoscope borders on
        annoying!)

      • Mellephone D'Aeriel
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
          Sam is still hanging in there like a champion! Thanks
          for asking. Yesterday he actually ate and drank for me
          on his own. But today we are back to force feedings.
          He does seem bright and alert, and aside from the fact
          he gets very sleeping at night and scares me with his
          inactivity, during the day he's just as mentally there
          as any of my other cats.

          To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
          vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
          emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
          runs a 24 hour clinic. I did speak to Sam's regular
          vet who said that his T4 count last year was an 11, so
          he suspected he wasn't getting his meds to their full
          extent. Umm, so why the hell didn't he tell my friend
          the risks involved if it stayed up? Why didn't he
          reccomend a new technique for giving him the meds
          and/or then do a followup? It's so frustrating I
          wanted to scream and pop his little head. Although his
          regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
          heparin or coumadin?

          I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
          going to be expensive! Ouch. Now the only cardiologist
          we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
          till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
          Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
          since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
          range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
          throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
          between clots. She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
          cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
          calling around and I found a cardiologist in
          Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
          keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
          cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
          the last thing I want to do is stress his heart. The
          ER vet did have their oncologist look at Sam. The
          oncologist did a chest u/s for free and said his heart
          had considerable thickening in the left ventricle,
          with signs of smoke or thrombus? What does that mean?

          I got photocopies of all his records. Is there a link
          I could go to, to see what all the different things
          mean?

          I did forget to mention Sam has had a level 3 heart
          murmer for the last 8 years, and has been on his
          tapazole with no side effects for 2 years.

          Iva

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Laura Penny
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
            Iva,

            I had a cat who had a series of blood clots, and about a week lapsed between
            the first and second clots. By the third week, she deteriorated rapidly and
            had numerous clots.

            I think the smoky appearance in the heart means that other clots are
            forming. The thickening of the left ventricle is typical of hypertrophic
            cardiomyopathy.

            Here's an excellent link:

            http://maxshouse.com/hypertrophic_cardiomyopathy.htm

            I hope Sam does OK...I know how scary this is. I've had three cats with HCM,
            two of whom are still alive.

            Laura

            >Sam is still hanging in there like a champion! Thanks
            >for asking. Yesterday he actually ate and drank for me
            >on his own. But today we are back to force feedings.
            >He does seem bright and alert, and aside from the fact
            >he gets very sleeping at night and scares me with his
            >inactivity, during the day he's just as mentally there
            >as any of my other cats.
            >
            >To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
            >vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
            >emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
            >runs a 24 hour clinic. I did speak to Sam's regular
            >vet who said that his T4 count last year was an 11, so
            >he suspected he wasn't getting his meds to their full
            >extent. Umm, so why the hell didn't he tell my friend
            >the risks involved if it stayed up? Why didn't he
            >reccomend a new technique for giving him the meds
            >and/or then do a followup? It's so frustrating I
            >wanted to scream and pop his little head. Although his
            >regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
            >heparin or coumadin?
            >
            >I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
            >going to be expensive! Ouch. Now the only cardiologist
            >we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
            >till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
            >Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
            >since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
            >range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
            >throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
            >between clots. She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
            >cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
            >calling around and I found a cardiologist in
            >Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
            >keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
            >cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
            >the last thing I want to do is stress his heart. The
            >ER vet did have their oncologist look at Sam. The
            >oncologist did a chest u/s for free and said his heart
            >had considerable thickening in the left ventricle,
            >with signs of smoke or thrombus? What does that mean?
            >
            >I got photocopies of all his records. Is there a link
            >I could go to, to see what all the different things
            >mean?
            >
            >I did forget to mention Sam has had a level 3 heart
            >murmer for the last 8 years, and has been on his
            >tapazole with no side effects for 2 years.
            >
            >Iva

          • Jonathan Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
              > To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
              > vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
              > emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
              > runs a 24 hour clinic. . . .
              > Although his
              > regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
              > heparin or coumadin?

              Coumadin use is rare in cats, as it is rather dangerous & hard to
              monitor. But, heparin is commonly used for the 1st 72 hours
              after an episode. Since that time frame is already past, there
              is no need to consider it now.

              > I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
              > going to be expensive! Ouch.

              Yep. Good medical care (for humans or felines) is expensive.

              > Now the only cardiologist
              > we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
              > till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
              > Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
              > since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
              > range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
              > throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
              > between clots.

              Once a cat has thrown a clot, there is no way to know if he will
              throw any more or when they will occur. It could be days,
              months, years or never. Our old guy Lynx threw 3 clots within a
              6 weeks period, then never threw another. I atrtribute that to
              luck & prompt, aggressive treatment for his heart disease.

              > She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
              > cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
              > calling around and I found a cardiologist in
              > Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
              > keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
              > cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
              > the last thing I want to do is stress his heart.

              It doesn't sound like Sam is in a critical situation right now,
              so I can't imagine that a day will matter. But, you need to make
              that decision, of course. As you point out, the stress on him
              might be worse than the extra day's wait. Obviously, if any
              other problems show up, you should rush him to an emergency vet.

              --
              JR
              Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet