Sam and other stuff!

  • Garyandana901@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi, everyone!

      How is Sam doing? It sounds like his vet is taking the same tactic mine did.
      . . tell you what's happening, but offer little or no assistance in
      correcting it! As mentioned by another list member, old age is not a
      disease, and is not a reason to withhold treatment, unless there is some
      physical reason that he wouldn't be able to handle it. I have a 17 year old
      (no heart problems) who only complains of arthritis. I would insist on
      aggressive treatment for him, if he needed it, with the provision that all
      appropriate precautions be taken (blood work, etc.).

      I really had to push my vet to have an EKG and chest x-rays done. I've got
      to take my Tigger to another vet in town for an ultrasound. After reading
      all the posts recently, I'm seeing more and more gaps in Tigger's treatment.
      As far as I know, my vet has NEVER checked his blood pressure. I'm hoping
      she checked for thyroid problems, etc. with the blood work she did, but I'm
      not certain, as I wasn't provided a copy of the results. I WILL be asking
      for those!

      Do any of you monitor heart rate and/or the murmurs your little ones may have
      at home? I'm just so neurotic that I stopped by a healthcare store yesterday
      and bought a stethoscope. I wanted to know what Tigger's heart rate was at
      rest, since he's so completely stressed at the vet's office that they
      probably have NO IDEA what his heart rate actually is. What would be
      considered normal? And does anyone have any idea whether I would be able to
      hear a Grade 1 murmur?

      Hope all of you (and your little ones, of course!) have a wonderful weekend!

      Dana & Tigger (and his brother & sisters, who are just here to support him!)

    • Anyes Moscrip
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        Garyandana901@... wrote:

        > Do any of you monitor heart rate and/or the murmurs your little ones may have
        > at home? I'm just so neurotic that I stopped by a healthcare store yesterday
        > and bought a stethoscope. I wanted to know what Tigger's heart rate was at
        > rest, since he's so completely stressed at the vet's office that they
        > probably have NO IDEA what his heart rate actually is. What would be
        > considered normal? And does anyone have any idea whether I would be able to
        > hear a Grade 1 murmur?

        A stetoscope is a wonderful investment. You can buy one for as low as $10. It
        is a good idea to learn what your kitty's heart sounds like when normal so that
        you can detect a change, such as fluid build up, before there is a problem. As
        my kitties get older, I am planning on doing more at home check ups to anticipate
        problems before they arise. I am weighing all of them weekly too for that
        reason. Being informed is the best tool to avoid crisis.

        Anyes and the girls
      • Garyandana901@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
          The one that I bought was $18.95, but came with large and small diaphragms,
          and small, medium and large bell attachments. Each attachment has a
          different purpose (such as hearing high-pitched or low-pitched murmurs), but
          I found out quickly that the infant/pediatric attachments are pretty much the
          only useful ones for Tigger. As a side note, listening to my kitties purr
          through the stethoscope was FUN!! :-) What a wonderful sound!

          Dana & Tigger (who finds Mom's fascination with the stethoscope borders on
          annoying!)

        • Mellephone D'Aeriel
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
            Sam is still hanging in there like a champion! Thanks
            for asking. Yesterday he actually ate and drank for me
            on his own. But today we are back to force feedings.
            He does seem bright and alert, and aside from the fact
            he gets very sleeping at night and scares me with his
            inactivity, during the day he's just as mentally there
            as any of my other cats.

            To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
            vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
            emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
            runs a 24 hour clinic. I did speak to Sam's regular
            vet who said that his T4 count last year was an 11, so
            he suspected he wasn't getting his meds to their full
            extent. Umm, so why the hell didn't he tell my friend
            the risks involved if it stayed up? Why didn't he
            reccomend a new technique for giving him the meds
            and/or then do a followup? It's so frustrating I
            wanted to scream and pop his little head. Although his
            regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
            heparin or coumadin?

            I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
            going to be expensive! Ouch. Now the only cardiologist
            we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
            till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
            Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
            since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
            range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
            throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
            between clots. She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
            cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
            calling around and I found a cardiologist in
            Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
            keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
            cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
            the last thing I want to do is stress his heart. The
            ER vet did have their oncologist look at Sam. The
            oncologist did a chest u/s for free and said his heart
            had considerable thickening in the left ventricle,
            with signs of smoke or thrombus? What does that mean?

            I got photocopies of all his records. Is there a link
            I could go to, to see what all the different things
            mean?

            I did forget to mention Sam has had a level 3 heart
            murmer for the last 8 years, and has been on his
            tapazole with no side effects for 2 years.

            Iva

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Laura Penny
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
              Iva,

              I had a cat who had a series of blood clots, and about a week lapsed between
              the first and second clots. By the third week, she deteriorated rapidly and
              had numerous clots.

              I think the smoky appearance in the heart means that other clots are
              forming. The thickening of the left ventricle is typical of hypertrophic
              cardiomyopathy.

              Here's an excellent link:

              http://maxshouse.com/hypertrophic_cardiomyopathy.htm

              I hope Sam does OK...I know how scary this is. I've had three cats with HCM,
              two of whom are still alive.

              Laura

              >Sam is still hanging in there like a champion! Thanks
              >for asking. Yesterday he actually ate and drank for me
              >on his own. But today we are back to force feedings.
              >He does seem bright and alert, and aside from the fact
              >he gets very sleeping at night and scares me with his
              >inactivity, during the day he's just as mentally there
              >as any of my other cats.
              >
              >To clarify a little bit for Johnathon, this isn't my
              >vet. Nor is it Sam's regular vet. My vet doesn't do
              >emergency cases so she referred me to this vet who
              >runs a 24 hour clinic. I did speak to Sam's regular
              >vet who said that his T4 count last year was an 11, so
              >he suspected he wasn't getting his meds to their full
              >extent. Umm, so why the hell didn't he tell my friend
              >the risks involved if it stayed up? Why didn't he
              >reccomend a new technique for giving him the meds
              >and/or then do a followup? It's so frustrating I
              >wanted to scream and pop his little head. Although his
              >regular vet said he is appalled he hasn't being put on
              >heparin or coumadin?
              >
              >I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
              >going to be expensive! Ouch. Now the only cardiologist
              >we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
              >till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
              >Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
              >since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
              >range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
              >throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
              >between clots. She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
              >cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
              >calling around and I found a cardiologist in
              >Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
              >keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
              >cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
              >the last thing I want to do is stress his heart. The
              >ER vet did have their oncologist look at Sam. The
              >oncologist did a chest u/s for free and said his heart
              >had considerable thickening in the left ventricle,
              >with signs of smoke or thrombus? What does that mean?
              >
              >I got photocopies of all his records. Is there a link
              >I could go to, to see what all the different things
              >mean?
              >
              >I did forget to mention Sam has had a level 3 heart
              >murmer for the last 8 years, and has been on his
              >tapazole with no side effects for 2 years.
              >
              >Iva

            • Jonathan Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001

                Coumadin use is rare in cats, as it is rather dangerous & hard to
                monitor. But, heparin is commonly used for the 1st 72 hours
                after an episode. Since that time frame is already past, there
                is no need to consider it now.

                > I did take the advice on the cardiologist. Boy is that
                > going to be expensive! Ouch.

                Yep. Good medical care (for humans or felines) is expensive.

                > Now the only cardiologist
                > we have in Santa Cruz (where I live) isn't available
                > till Tuesday morning. Is that a huge problem? Should
                > Sam make it that long? He hasn't thrown a blood clot
                > since Tuesday, and his blood pressure is in the normal
                > range now. But my vet said that doesn't mean he won't
                > throw another one. She's seen kitties go a week
                > between clots.

                Once a cat has thrown a clot, there is no way to know if he will
                throw any more or when they will occur. It could be days,
                months, years or never. Our old guy Lynx threw 3 clots within a
                6 weeks period, then never threw another. I atrtribute that to
                luck & prompt, aggressive treatment for his heart disease.

                > She thinks waiting till Tuesday for the
                > cardiologist is fine. What do you think? I've tried
                > calling around and I found a cardiologist in
                > Sacramento that is available Monday. Though I'm not
                > keen on making the drive with Sam. He doesn't loathe
                > cars, but he's not completely ambivalent either and
                > the last thing I want to do is stress his heart.

                It doesn't sound like Sam is in a critical situation right now,
                so I can't imagine that a day will matter. But, you need to make
                that decision, of course. As you point out, the stress on him
                might be worse than the extra day's wait. Obviously, if any
                other problems show up, you should rush him to an emergency vet.

                --
                JR
                Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet