Mittens

  • Bill & Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2001
      I'm new to this list, but many of you know me from CRF Support.

      Mittens is 15 and overweight. He was diagnosed with early CRF, but after
      controlling his high BP and having dental work, the CRF is mostly gone.
      However, he has a grade 2 heart murmur (he's had this before, but it always
      went away after dental work -- didn't this time), and a slighltly enlarged
      heart (vet did an x-ray, and said this wasn't too bad).

      We have an appointment Monday at the Chesapeake Veterinary Cardiology Center
      in Annapolis (they have 5 locations in Northern Virginia and Maryland) for
      an ultrasound and evaluation. We will be able to stay with him the whole
      time. Has anyone gone to this place? Any questions I should ask?

      Thanks,

      Linda and Mittens
    • Bill & Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
        We took Mittens to the cardiologist yesterday. We were with him the whole
        time, and he was very well behaved.

        Mittens was diagnosed with Systemic Hypertension -- well controlled
        (Norvasc);
        Left Ventricular Hypertrophy - consistent with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.
        Mitral Valve Regurgitation - fairly mild. No congestive failure.

        Everything seems to be in the mild or moderate range. Since his LA is
        normal, his cardiac status should be reasonably good.

        He's been prescribed atenolol, 1/4 tablet every other day until Friday when
        the regular vet does blood work and blood pressure, then if his CRF values
        are still OK, 1/4 tablet a day. The atenolol is mostly for a rapid heart
        rate.

        The cardiologist said I can give Atenolol with the Norvasc, which I also
        give with Potassium. He takes his Norvasc/Potassium in the morning just
        before breakfast, which starts with a bowl of chicken broth and then dry
        food. Is this OK for Atenolol too -- to be given just before a meal.

        I'm reading up on this; I have a general idea of Mittens' condition, but I
        have no idea what most these things really mean.

        Linda
      • Bill & Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
          We took Mittens to the vet for a check up. BP about 160, where it's been
          since we started Norvasc. Heart rate 200, not good, but he was mad -- and
          better than 260 before Atenolol. His weight is constant at 21 pounds.

          Bun 39.9, was 36.7
          Creat 3.3 was 3.4 (high normal 2.4)
          Phos 5.2 was 4.3 (he gets Binders)
          Pot 4.5 was 4.7
          Calcium 13.02 was 11
          HCT 41
          T4 2.3

          He doesn't want to eat much, either -- good stuff or junk, he still doesn't
          want it. I made up some soft stuff with Wysongs, peas, baby food meat, and
          chicken broth and syringe fed him some. I'll increase his binders.

          I'm really worried about him, even though I know these numbers aren't that
          bad. The not eating anything is new. The vet will be in touch with the
          cardiologist; maybe it's the atenolol which is when things started to get
          worse. Is there anything besides atenolol to lower the heart rate?

          Linda
          Thanks,
          Linda

          Bill & Linda Fischbach (@home)
          King George, Virginia
          <fischbl@...>
        • Catwoman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
            Bill & Linda Fischbach wrote:

            > He doesn't want to eat much, either -- good stuff or junk, he still
            > doesn't want it. I made up some soft stuff with Wysongs, peas,
            > baby food meat, and chicken broth and syringe fed him some.
            > I'll increase his binders.
            >
            > I'm really worried about him, even though I know these numbers
            > aren't that bad. The not eating anything is new. The vet will
            > be in touch with the cardiologist; maybe it's the atenolol which is
            > when things started to get worse.

            > Is there anything besides atenolol to lower the heart rate?

            Linda - Muffin stopped eating when we put him on Atenolol also, so
            he's now off it, and *almost* back to 'normal' eating. It took less
            than a week for the atenolol to affect his appetite (and cause rather
            violent vomiting), and rather more than a week for it to wear off
            enough for him to want to eat.

            He still doesn't eat much at one time, but he is hungry regularly.
            (21 pounds! Whew! Muff's down to 8.something!)

            What I've been giving Muff recently is a mix of K/D, Hill's Senior
            (commercial) Beef, some nuked beef fat, and distilled water, blended
            together to form a paste. He will eat a small amount of that mix
            several times a day (when I'm around). 'small amount' - about a
            tablespoon or two at a time. He seems to prefer it cold - or at
            least not warm. He also won't eat it if it's in a cup or bowl - I
            have little flat 'plates' (they're the ones used for putting soy
            sauce in when eating Sushi), and he'll eat out of that, only.

            Oh - he will also eat dry K/D.

            Diana
          • Bill & Linda Fischbach
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
              Hi Diana,

              Mittens started Atenolol about a month ago, 1/4 every other day. The
              cardiologist was concerned that it might hurt his CRF values, and it has.
              He started on a Monday, and bloodwork on Friday (3 doses) showed a rise in
              CRF numbers from just 2 weeks earlier.

              At first though, he seemed to eat better, but for the past 2 weeks he's been
              fussy, and now doesn't want anything. I've syringe fed him today, but he
              hates that and the stress isn't good for his heart. But he hasn't lost
              weight.

              Is there something besides Atenolol to slow a rapid heart rate. It was 260
              at the cardiologists, with some HCM, before starting the atenolol. He
              also has high BP, but was a lot better on Norvasc, and that was when his CRF
              numbers improved.

              Linda
            • Linda Fischbach
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
                In the past week, Mittens had gained about half a pound; at first I thought
                this was due to worming in December, but noticed that he was breathing a
                little hard. He does have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so I was concerned
                about fluid buildup.

                Mittens seemed better during the night, so Bill went to work early and as
                soon as the vet opened I called for an appointment. We got a 9:30, so Bill
                didn't stay at work long.

                The vet Xrayed, and said there was a little fluid in his stomach, but more
                in the heart/lung area. He called the cardiologist to see if we could get
                in, but they were busy and said they'd call back within 30 minutes. Since
                the vet is 25 miles from home in one direction, and the cardiologist 70
                miles in the other, we decided to go home and then find out what was
                happening.

                The cardiologist was completely booked, but said we should come in via the
                ER. So, 20 minutes after we got home we were on the road again. Mittens
                DID have fluids; they drained 150ml from his chest. Cardiologist said his
                heart was much larger than in September (bad news), and gave us a
                prescription for Lasix and for Enipril. They also took some blood for
                bloodwork, and said not to start the enipril until Monday after they get the
                blood work results. All this was done between appointments while we were
                in the waiting room (the vet came out to talk to us about 5 times). We
                were there from 1PM to 5PM, and didn't get home until near 7. Mittens
                feels much better and is more active.

                I sure hope the lasix prevents further fluid buildup, and the enipril helps
                his heart.

                Long day (10 hours and 190 miles). I haven't read any posts yet, and
                probably won't get to most of them.

                Linda
                Bill & Linda Fischbach (@home)
                King George, Virginia
              • Eln Lou
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
                  How is Mittens now? I hope the meds work--good luck!

                  Eln

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Fischbach" <fischbl@e...>