Re: teralogy of fallot

  • Mary Ann
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
      Hello,

      I also have a young cat with Tetralogy of Fallot. At 3 weeks of age it was apparent that Joel had a severe murmur. An echo at 8 weeks of age resulted in the diagnosis ToF moderate, prognosis fair to guarded. Luckily, his blood flow though bidirectional, he has " 'pink' Tetralogy since there is minimal cyanosis". His murmur was a 5/6 but improved to about a 3 at about age 4 months.

      Now at 8 months of age, an x-ray shows that his heart and aorta are both quite enlarged and there is some edema. My vet says he is in the 1st stage of congestive heart failure. He has been started on lasix and a small dose of benazipril.

      Strangely enough, the x-ray also showed an issue with one hip. I had not noticed that he was having any problems walking or getting around, but he had been very lethargic. My initial thought was that the hip issue was the result of an injury. But all of this week he has had a lot of trouble getting around as the hip seems unable to bear any weight. Actually his entire hind end seems to be very 'floppy'. (His feet and legs are warm.) He doesn't seem to be in pain but my vet suggested a low dose of buprinex to help with any pain. I don't think it has made any difference.

      I had anticipated dealing with the CHF at some point, though not this soon. But I am really puzzled about the hip/leg/back end issue. Is there any chance that it is related in some way to the heart issues?

      TIA! Mary Ann