Re: teralogy of fallot

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hi

      I am sorry to hear about your kitten. Is kitten seeing a cardiologist? How
      poorly is kitten and what are the symptoms? Tetralogy of Fallot is an
      inherited heart disorder with four problems of the heart and blood vessels
      leaving the heart. The blood moves across the heart and reduces oxygen so cats
      will have exercise intolerance.

      Milli has a slightly milder version of this. She has two large holes in her
      heart, valve malformations and problems with the blood vessels to the
      lungs. She has exercise intolerance and was given about 2 years to live maximum
      when diagnosed as a kitten. She's five this year.

      There are treatments to help. The most radical is surgery, but that would
      be very dependent on cost and where in the world you live and how bad the
      defect is. Surgery has a good outcome in many cases. Please see..
      _http://www.felipedia.org/~felipedi/wiki/index.php/Tetralogy_of_Fallot_
      (http://www.felipedia.org/~felipedi/wiki/index.php/Tetralogy_of_Fallot)

      _http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/11113.htm_
      (http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/11113.htm)

      If surgery isnt an option, then you would need drugs to help the heart and
      something to definitely prevent clots like plavix. Beta blockers have been
      used in some cases. I would read up everything you can and present all the
      options to your cardiologist. In the case that nothing can be done, drugs
      will help quality of life and you can enjoy your kitten as much as possible
      like we do with Milli.

      Hugs

    • Mary Ann
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
        Hello,

        I also have a young cat with Tetralogy of Fallot. At 3 weeks of age it was apparent that Joel had a severe murmur. An echo at 8 weeks of age resulted in the diagnosis ToF moderate, prognosis fair to guarded. Luckily, his blood flow though bidirectional, he has " 'pink' Tetralogy since there is minimal cyanosis". His murmur was a 5/6 but improved to about a 3 at about age 4 months.

        Now at 8 months of age, an x-ray shows that his heart and aorta are both quite enlarged and there is some edema. My vet says he is in the 1st stage of congestive heart failure. He has been started on lasix and a small dose of benazipril.

        Strangely enough, the x-ray also showed an issue with one hip. I had not noticed that he was having any problems walking or getting around, but he had been very lethargic. My initial thought was that the hip issue was the result of an injury. But all of this week he has had a lot of trouble getting around as the hip seems unable to bear any weight. Actually his entire hind end seems to be very 'floppy'. (His feet and legs are warm.) He doesn't seem to be in pain but my vet suggested a low dose of buprinex to help with any pain. I don't think it has made any difference.

        I had anticipated dealing with the CHF at some point, though not this soon. But I am really puzzled about the hip/leg/back end issue. Is there any chance that it is related in some way to the heart issues?

        TIA! Mary Ann