Keeping hope

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2011
      I am always hesitant to post about my kitty Jesse, but I pray that for those with newly diagnosed kitties, his story will bring some hope.

      In an nutshell, Jesse is a male Maine Coon kitty, diagnosed with a heart murmur as a kitten. He was ok until he was 13 months old, when he suddenly developed CHF. At that time, the prognosis was dire: the cardiologist warned me that Jesse would probably not live to see his second birthday because his heart disease hit so hard and so fast. He was put on twice daily doses of enalapril, atenolol, lasix, and 1/4 baby aspirin every other day.

      Earlier this month, I took Jesse to see his doctor for an echo and checkup, and the news was a relief. After all this time, his heart disease remains completely stable....and Jesse celebrated his ninth birthday on February 13.

      Vets can't know the future because heart disease is unpredictable in its course. So please don't give up hope! Our kitties can surprise their doctors.

      Purrs,

      Paula, Momcat to Jesse, Tristan, Malika, and Sabrina
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2011
        Absolutely! Don't ever let ANYONE give you a timeline!! Nobody can possibly know, not even the best cardiologist in the world. We have discussed this many times before. When you get a diagnosis of heart disease, you do need to discuss it in detail with your cardiologist and your vet. Then you need to think about it, and make a plan of what you will do if/when something happens. You can't just hide your head in the sand, you have to be prepared. Know where the nearest ER is, and their hours, and your vet's hours, etc -- have this info right on the fridge. Have the carrier ready to go, where it's easy to grab. And decide how far you will go with treatment if your kitty suddenly takes a turn for the worse. It's always worth treating fluid in the lungs, etc -- but there is a point at which you would be fighting a losing battle. Your precious kitty's quality of life is the most important thing!

        Fortunately sudden heart failure is very quick, you wouldn't even have time to get him into the carrier. But I think most of us prefer that to having kitty suffer for even a few minutes.

        Once you have thought about it, and made your decisions about what you will do if something happens, then just set it aside, clear your mind. Then just enjoy the time you have with your kitty. I believe they can sense if we're stressed out and worried about them, and that will worry and concern them --- so just accept that everything is just fine, until you are proven wrong.

        When Tigger was first diagnosed I was even afraid to play with him. But my vet said these wise words to me -- "Kitties are here for a good time, not a long time, so have a good time, the sun don't shine everyday" -- I hope you know that song. So we play and run everyday -- I want him to have a great time, and get some exercise too, that will help his heart. Remember, THEY DON'T KNOW THAT THEY'RE SICK. They want a normal fun love-filled life with you! Give them that, give them as much love and attention as you can, and you will never regret it.

      • furbabymama
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2011
          Very well said, Michelle. At Ash's last echo, the cardiologist actually said "he doesn't know he's sick". They never gave me a timeline for him, just said that the median for a cat with HOCM that is CHF asymptomatic is five years. They said we could have him for a few months to several years - they couldn't predict. It's been two years since his diagnosis and he's still CHF asymptomatic. We've made our plans as to how far we'll go, but there are still times I will tear up or cry. For the most part though, it's enjoying every minute with him. He is one spoiled rotten kitty!

          Shonna & Ash

        • Haranna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2011
            I'm a lurker, but, just had to chime in here. My wonderful male orange
            tabby, Opie, a number of years ago was diagnosed with cancer of the spleen.
            They removed the spleen, but, bloodwork showed cancer cells were running
            rampant through his body and gave him four mos. to live. He lived 3-1/2
            years with cancer and diabetes. He crashed a no. of times and off to the vet
            he went, who pulled him out of it.

            I gave him sub-cue fluids and he took it like a champ, until one day he
            refused....I knew the time was near.

            Kitties have their own timeline....just love them and enjoy every precious
            moment with them.

            Joy Ann and Opie Kitty....the bestest little boy in the world.

            In a message dated 2/25/2011 7:05:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            saokada@... writes:

            Very well said, Michelle. At Ash's last echo, the cardiologist actually
            said "he doesn't know he's sick". They never gave me a timeline for him,
            just said that the median for a cat with HOCM that is CHF asymptomatic is
            five years. They said we could have him for a few months to several years -
            they couldn't predict. It's been two years since his diagnosis and he's
            still CHF asymptomatic. We've made our plans as to how far we'll go, but
            there are still times I will tear up or cry. For the most part though, it's
            enjoying every minute with him. He is one spoiled rotten kitty!

            Shonna & Ash

            > Absolutely! Don't ever let ANYONE give you a timeline!! Nobody can
            possibly know, not even the best cardiologist in the world. [snip]

          • lorkatz2004
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011
              I had Jinx for 7 years when the vet told me he had only 1 or 2 years to live.

              Cathy