RE: [FH] Aspirin and nattokinase? (was Re: Sneezing, CHF, and now vomiting)

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2011
      They are both blood thinners so it means not to give them together. However, there was a time, after Max thew a clot and we were in Mexico and I couldn't get a reasonable Plavix pill to dose Max that my vet said OK to both, but he said to watch for gum bleeding or other bleeding as an indication that it was too much. I elected not to use the aspirin and just used natto...we were very lucky with it...Max never threw another clot in his last year, so I think it's good medicine. We upped his natto to about 100mg after his clot. Judi and Angel Max

      To: elfinmyst@...
      CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: jisincla@...
      Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:10:19 -0500
      Subject: [FH] Aspirin and nattokinase? (was Re: Sneezing, CHF, and now vomiting)

      On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:24 AM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

      > I suggest she is reacting to the aspirin. Trixi vomited constantly and
      > horribly whilst on it. It doesn't suit all cats. Ask for a swap to Plavix
      > (clopidogrel generic) or use nattokinase.

      This reminds me of another question I've been meaning to ask: I
      ordered some nattokinase yesterday, as well as some L-carnitine and
      CoQ10. I didn't order taurine because the cardiologist advised me not
      to give Clipsy extra taurine. Her diet is already high enough in
      taurine that her whole blood taurine level is well above the reference
      range. In effect, she's already getting extra taurine supplementation
      from the feline supplement powder I use in my homemade cat food.

      So, I read in the files section that nattokinase should not be given
      at the same time as aspirin due to the risk of bleeding. Does "not at
      the same time" mean not at the same medication administration, but at
      a different time of day, like if she gets her aspirin in the afternoon
      she should get her nattokinase in the morning? Or does it mean, if a
      cat is getting aspirin on some days but not others (Clipsy gets
      aspirin once every three days), to skip the nattokinase on the days
      she gets aspirin? Or does it mean to stop giving aspirin entirely for
      as long as the cat is taking nattokinase? Or does it mean something
      else I haven't thought of?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      www.jimsinclair.org
      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com