Re: [FH] Re: Sneezing, CHF, and now vomiting

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2011
      On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:24 AM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I suggest she is reacting to the aspirin. Trixi vomited constantly and
      > horribly whilst on it. It doesn't suit all cats.

      Actually I think it may be something more related to the sneezing and
      not specific to Clipsy or her medications. Before dawn this morning
      Willow, Clipsy's brother, vomited in my bedroom (I shoved him off the
      bed just in time to avoid having yet another load of pukey bedding to
      wash), and someone else vomited in the bathroom, while Clipsy was
      curled up peacefully by my pillow.

      Arrrrggghhhhh....

      The cats were on doxycycline for about six weeks in December and
      January, on the hypothesis that they had Bartonella. They did show
      significant improvement while taking it twice a day. Clipsy was the
      one who improved most dramatically. She had been having violent
      sneezing fits and had lost her voice and was miming silent meows, and
      her teeth and gums were horrible. Within a couple of weeks on
      doxycycline she had her voice back and was vocalizing normally again,
      was sneezing only occasionally and with single sneezes instead of long
      sneezing fits, and her mouth was significantly better.

      Then she had the CHF episode and got new medications, and meanwhile
      Willow got aspiration pneumonia from getting twice-daily squirts of
      liquid doxycycline chased with water. My vet said to reduce the
      doxycycline to once a day so as not to stress Clipsy or the other cats
      with too many medications. And the symptoms gradually started creeping
      back.

      Now they're off doxycycline completely, which is much better for their
      appetites, but it also means we can't blame the vomiting on the
      doxycycline. When I reported that the sneezing was increasing again,
      but I wasn't seeing colored discharge, the vet said maybe it's an
      allergy and told me to drip saline nasal spray on their noses. I don't
      know if that's helping the sneezing or not--they do still sneeze some,
      but not as much as before the doxycycline. And I don't think the
      saline nose drops would be causing vomiting, because they aren't
      swallowing the drops. I just drip one single drop on the outside of
      each cat's nose so they inhale it into their nostrils.

      > Ask for a swap to Plavix
      > (clopidogrel generic) or use nattokinase. Trixi's vomiting stopped the day after
      > we stopped aspirin.

      I'll pass that along to my vet or more likely the cardiologist. Thanks.

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
      www.jimsinclair.org
      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com