need advice pls lasix, heart disease and kidney issues

  • cathryn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2011
      I've written before about my Madeline, we always thought she was about
      9 but now I think she is closer to 13 (I found her running down my old
      street about 8 years ago).

      She has hyperthyroid, heart disease (enlarged heart, rapid heart beat)
      and inflammatory bowel, possibly something more serious. In June, she
      had an episode and it was suspected she had fluid in her lungs. I have
      recapped the entire scenario in previous messages but I'd just like to
      give these details right now.

      she is on tapazole 2.5 mg 2 x a day. she was on lasix .1 - .2 ml a
      day. 1/4 baby aspirin two times a week. I also give her slippery elm,
      fish oil and aloe.

      she only weighs 6 pounds but she's always been small. she had been
      down to 4 pounds at one point.

      in the last few days, she is drinking a lot of water, less interested
      in eating, and just looks uncomfortable. she's lost a lot of her fat
      around her rear legs - intestinal area.

      She didn't have a diagnosed kidney issue when she saw the vet but it
      was always possible that the hyperthyroid was hiding that and the
      lasix I know (tho' it's a small amt) can affect the kidneys.

      My two questions: 1) She threw up a little bit of blood the other day
      but has not since. Yes, I've looked online and I know that she needs
      to see a vet but severe financial issues right now don't allow that.
      I'm hoping I can get her to the vet over the weekend. I stopped the
      aspirin because of that.
      Should I still be giving the aspirin? (worried that may be gastro-intestinal)

      2) Lasix: I've read that cats with kidney disease should not be on
      lasix so I'm wondering should I continue to give it to her until I can
      dig up some funds to get her to the vet? Hopefully this weekend but
      I'm worried about her right now.

      I'm worried that fluid may be accumulating but I don't understand how
      the the kidneys work - basically they are not filtering properly right
      now I guess and I don't want to stress them but I don't want to stress
      her heart either.

      Stress overall! Thank you.

      Cathryn.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2011
        Hi Cathryn

        She needs to see a vet to check her kidneys. Lasix can affect the kidneys
        but you say she is on a small dose and it wouldn't come on so quickly. She
        could have an infection or kidney problems and both need urgent treatment.

        If fluid is in the lungs, you need to keep the lasix going. I`m sorry I
        can't help any further but I think she needs to see the vet.

      • cathrynbe2002
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2011
          Thanks Lyn.
          I understand it's complex to deal with via email or list serves.

          Thanks for clarification on the lasix tho'.

          I did speak to the vet too. Hope for best...

          Cathryn.