Re: Sneezing, CHF, and now vomiting

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2011
      Hi

      I suggest she is reacting to the aspirin. Trixi vomited constantly and
      horribly whilst on it. It doesn't suit all cats. Ask for a swap to Plavix
      (clopidogrel generic) or use nattokinase. Trixi's vomiting stopped the day after
      we stopped aspirin.

    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2011
        On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:24 AM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I suggest she is reacting to the aspirin. Trixi vomited constantly and
        > horribly whilst on it. It doesn't suit all cats.

        Actually I think it may be something more related to the sneezing and
        not specific to Clipsy or her medications. Before dawn this morning
        Willow, Clipsy's brother, vomited in my bedroom (I shoved him off the
        bed just in time to avoid having yet another load of pukey bedding to
        wash), and someone else vomited in the bathroom, while Clipsy was
        curled up peacefully by my pillow.

        Arrrrggghhhhh....

        The cats were on doxycycline for about six weeks in December and
        January, on the hypothesis that they had Bartonella. They did show
        significant improvement while taking it twice a day. Clipsy was the
        one who improved most dramatically. She had been having violent
        sneezing fits and had lost her voice and was miming silent meows, and
        her teeth and gums were horrible. Within a couple of weeks on
        doxycycline she had her voice back and was vocalizing normally again,
        was sneezing only occasionally and with single sneezes instead of long
        sneezing fits, and her mouth was significantly better.

        Then she had the CHF episode and got new medications, and meanwhile
        Willow got aspiration pneumonia from getting twice-daily squirts of
        liquid doxycycline chased with water. My vet said to reduce the
        doxycycline to once a day so as not to stress Clipsy or the other cats
        with too many medications. And the symptoms gradually started creeping
        back.

        Now they're off doxycycline completely, which is much better for their
        appetites, but it also means we can't blame the vomiting on the
        doxycycline. When I reported that the sneezing was increasing again,
        but I wasn't seeing colored discharge, the vet said maybe it's an
        allergy and told me to drip saline nasal spray on their noses. I don't
        know if that's helping the sneezing or not--they do still sneeze some,
        but not as much as before the doxycycline. And I don't think the
        saline nose drops would be causing vomiting, because they aren't
        swallowing the drops. I just drip one single drop on the outside of
        each cat's nose so they inhale it into their nostrils.

        > Ask for a swap to Plavix
        > (clopidogrel generic) or use nattokinase. Trixi's vomiting stopped the day after
        > we stopped aspirin.

        I'll pass that along to my vet or more likely the cardiologist. Thanks.

        Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
        www.jimsinclair.org
        http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com