Re: Sudden death and HCM diagnosis

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2011
      Hi Elisa

      I am so sorry to hear about Mooch. Sadly the first sign of heart disease is
      often a clot and sudden death. Cats are excellent at hiding their disease
      and you wouldn't have known he was poorly. HCM can be genetic so it was
      absolutely right to scan the littermates.

      Please don't see it as a death sentence. Cats can live a long time with
      HCM, sometimes a full and normal life. You need to live each day and enjoy him
      and give him lots of love and cuddles. Get the supplements recommended if
      you can and keep an eye on his breathing. The drugs he is on will help the
      heart and reduce the risk of a clot. Can he tolerate aspirin well?

      Remember a cat never listens to prognosis. Trixi diagnosed aged 3 months..
      given 2 months to live.. doing well with her severe HCM 4 years later. It
      took me a long time to stop getting up in the night to check, to stop
      co0nstantly watching her breathing. Now we enjoy her and she is very relaxed.

      Please ask all your questions.

      Hugs