Fwd: Mirtazapine as Appetite Stimulant for CRF Cats

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2011
      I think Holly meant this for the group.

      and the gang

      From: Holly <hapazderski@...>

      I had a CRF cat, Elvis, who had cancer also. He was a thin cat by nature and
      ad lost some weight before we got his CRF symptoms straightened out with fluid
      reatments. Because of the cancer I could not get the weight back on him, so
      he vet prescribed mirtazapine. Giving it to him was the worst decision I have
      ver made. It made him so sick, and he never ate another meal. I tried
      ssisted feeding, but nothing would stay down. He became so thin and after four
      ays fatty liver disease was starting and I had to have him put to sleep. He
      as also starting to have symptoms from the cancer and may have had to have been
      ut to sleep at that time anyway, but the mirtazapine made his last four days
      iserable and I still feel so guilty about it. I don't want to say that no one
      hould use it because many cats have had good results with it. But I would
      efinitely recommend starting with half the dose the vet has prescribed and see
      ow your cat handles it.
      Holly, Sydney, Emmitt Smith and Angel Elvis